Jaw fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bird33

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I put a yellow face jaw fish in my 75 gal reef tank 2 days ago. I haven't seen him since . Normal?

he might hide a while till he settles in , had a yellow watchman gobie hide almost a month till I saw him

Jawfish are hole dwellers. You usually only see them sticking their heads out of their holes and at feeding time. Invariably, in tanks with a lot of rockwork, they dig their holes on the backsides of the rocks where you can't see them. :facepalm: lol
What I have done in the past in tanks without a lot of substrate was to use a large deep tupperware container placed near the front of the tank, in front of some rocks to offer protection, then fill it with soft sand and make a depression in the sand and you will find the jawfish will make their hole near the depression. ( Some have used a piece of PVC pipe as the hole and introduce the jawfish into the tank right at the hole.)
For now, just keep your eyes peeled for depressions in your substrate near your substrate. The jaw is probably somewhere nearby.

Hope this helps. (y)

Also, check the surrounding floor, as they do jump to their deaths on a regular basis unless you have a tight fitting lid.

Thanks for the info! I have a glass lid so no jumper here. Lol . I still haven't seen anything but today is a new day! Crossing my fingers. Also I've been checking my levels and all is good . So he's alive!

Not terribly uncommon, when I added my hi fin goby (similar behaviors) I didn't see him again for almost 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Over a week and I haven't seen any signs. Do you think he's dead?

Over a week and I haven't seen any signs. Do you think he's dead?

Until you see a corpse, there is always hope. (y)
However, that's the problem with hole dwellers, you don't know if they are in their holes alive and well or in their holes pushing up the daisys. :blink: Keep looking behind the rocks. (y)

Back
Top Bottom