Just a few QT questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueDolphin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I put a sponge in my main tank's sump in order to put in my QT. I have a 10 gallon QT with a heater, some pvc elbows, and a Penguin Mini Bio-Wheel Filter. So, here are my questions:

Can I go ahead and fill my QT with water from my main tank and start running the filter even though I am not going to be purchasing a fish for about a week? If this is ok, should I add fish food a couple times a week for bacteria?

How far in advance should the sponge from my sump be placed in the QT before I put a fish in there?

When I break down my QT after the quarantine period, do I need to rinse it out with anything special if there were no meds in the tank?

Am I missing anything??

TIA

Yes you can use water from your main and start running. It wouldn't hurt to feed the bacteria a little, but I wouldn't worry too much about a cycle, you will use water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite in check. Besides, if you need to use meds, it will kill the bacteria anyway.

You can place the sponge a day or 2 before the fish arrive. Just be sure to acclimate them properly to the qt.
When I break down I clean everthing with water and bleach and give it a few good rinsings.
Sounds like you have a nice plan here. (y)

Back
Top Bottom