just added 3 medium shrimp trying too start my cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Birdow

Aquarium Advice Regular
wish me lucky guys? should I turn off the filter and just running the power head? need help getting anxious!

3 medium shrimp... what size tank? I would have gone with just one, unless you have a very large tank, or you are planning on adding a few fish as soon as you are done your cycle... with a smaller tank your cycle will take a lot longer then if you just use one.

Just add in some cured live rock, but lower quality so you can just use it as base rock. I've cycled all of my tanks this way so I don't have to deal with a rotting shrimp.

I also do the shrimp cycle and works fine, but I have put the shrimp in a nylon bag, with that you will never have a lot of cleaning after the shrimp is rotten.
Mine is a 33 gallons and it takes like 4 almost 5 weeks.

for my 55G i used 1 jumbo shrimp and i just left it in there it blew behind the rocks and i didnt feel like getting it out no harm no foul lol

I put one shrimp in a 10 gal 3 weeks ago tomorrow and should be done soon. Ammonia is 0 and just waiting for nitirite to go as well.

I wish I knew ahead to put the shrimp into a nylon or a mesh bag. I'm currently cycling my tank it's been a week and the rotten shrimp released so much debris into the tank and filter. I had to bury the shrimp under the sand to stop it from spreading more. Now that the debris are already in the tank and rocks it's pretty tough to clean up, do you think a good CUC will be able to take care of the mess?

I think that you can clean it up with a net, you can make move the water and tried to catch all the mess, as I mention before that nylon bag is a life saver.

Back
Top Bottom