just bought an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosslady

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought an aquarium. I'm so excited. I am new to this. I have been reading all the past post here on this site. The aquarium I bought is used. The person I bought it from had it set up as a reef tank. This is what I wanted also. He sold it to me as a package the tank, powerhead, skimmer, stand, light hood and a bunch of extras. The tank is 75 gal. I think I got a good deal $350. He had a lot of live rock. The tank has been down for a few weeks so the rock dried out. Can I use this rock in my reef? I thought I could use it as base rock and place new live rock around and over it. If I do how should I prepare it? Placing it in the tank for the first cycle is what I thought I would do. I also plannned on putting new live rock and live sand.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com.. :D

The dried rock will be fine, just rinse it in salt water prior to placing in the tank to remove any aditional debris. Placing this rock on the bottom and placing any newly purchased LR on top is the best idea. LS is not really necessary as the LR added later will eventually seed any dry sand you use as well as the old rock. Unless the sand is purchased with actual animals (fauna) in it, the straight forward "wet" bagged sand is a waste of money IMO.

Cheers
Steve

schild27.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!

He sold it to me as a package the tank, powerhead, skimmer, stand, light hood and a bunch of extras.

Could you give us some details on the powerhead (in a 75g you will need more than one), what brand name and model number. Also some details on the lights would help us advise you, what type (eg; MH, PC, VHO, HOor NO) and wattage. What extras did you get?

what I got

I went thru everyting and here is the list.
ocean sea salt (enough to start tank)
2 nets
sponge on a stick
test kit
power head 802
emperor / bio wheel 02808
extra filter cartriage
seaweed and marine flakes
max-jet 1000 proteei skimmer
specific gravity meter
proper ph conditioner
mag float magnet cleaner
turkey baster
ground
bottle of cupramine
hydro cleaner
test tubes
hood with two 48" sun-glo bulbs no other marking
and two 48" power glo bulbs
15 large live rock no longer alive
bucket to mix water
2 marine reef how to books
tank and stand

that's all

ps My daughter is dyslexic doing well in college

ps My daughter is dyslexic doing well in college

Hope my sig does not offend, I have been ADHD all my life as well as dyslexic ;) The HD part wore off in my teens, but to this day, I have to say...huh? alot :p

hood with two 48" sun-glo bulbs no other marking
and two 48" power glo bulbs

With this lighting, I have to assume they are 40W NO flos, with these lights you will be confined to some lower light softies and shrooms.

proper ph conditioner

With regular maintenance this product should not be necessary.

bottle of cupramine

You need to find out if this was ever used in the main tank with the LR and substrate, if so, you will need to replace the rock before adding any inverts. This should only be used in a quarantine/hospital tank.

Thanks for the information. I will check about the cupramine. If I am going to have to replace the rock I would rather do it from the start.

My husband and son started cutting out the wall and putting the tank in place tonight. It is going to be in the wall.

As for your sig it DOES NOT offend me at all. I just know what I have gone thru with my daughter. It is nice when you hear someone else knows what you are going thru.

JEANETT

My husband and son started cutting out the wall and putting the tank in place tonight. It is going to be in the wall.

How about a photo essay from start to finish ;) At the very least we'd like to see photos once it is in the wall, up and running ;)

LOL, did you know a camera was an essential piece of aquarium equipment.

I would be very interested in those photos too. If nothing else, I would really like to see a final shot! I've toyed with a similar idea for my house.

Back
Top Bottom