Just filled our new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djmpj2

Aquarium Advice Freak
We began the set up of our 54 gallon AGA corner unit yesterday. We put down 100 pounds of Tropical Play sand and filled the tank with Salt Water from our LFS. We have the Eheim 2215 canister filter going. We hooked up the heater and the water is 80F. We have the Aqua C Remora Hang on Skimmer with Maxi Jet 1200 all set up but we are not using it yet. We have 2 additional Maxi Jet 1200 Power Heads, but have not turned them on yet.

Now for my questions:
The water is extremely cloudy from the addition of the water mixing with the sand. Will it help to turn on the skimmer or power heads? There is a white foam layer on the top of the water.

Second, we are scheduled to pick up our live rock tonight. If the water is just as cloudy as it is now, will it hurt the Live Rock to put it in our tank?

Thanks
DJ

It won't hurt the live rock and should settle on its own in a few days. Keep the circulation to a minimum, and use a prefilter or GAC to remove the foam.
This is perfectly normal.

Sorry, yes carbon. A prefilter is just a white filter pad. Your Eheim 2215 filter should have a removable one in it. You just may want to change that pad is a few days. There may also be a black filter pad, that is your carbon.
What I'm saying is don't do too much, it will settle in time. Just leave the powerheads and skimmer off and keep the turbulence to a minimum until is does.
BTW, welcome to Aquarium Advise :) :)

I have almost exactly the same setup.. what do you plan for lights? I just have the NO it came with for now.

I suggest you leave a powerhead on for the live rock as for the cloudyness it will settle down in time with my tank it took me to tries to get it right however because I used crushed coral SOME DUSTY STUFF.

Where in New Jersey did you manage to find tropical play sand?
I found the Tropical Play sand at the Home Depot in Woodbridge. It was leftover and I bought 100 pounds, which is all I saw at the time (about a month ago).

I have almost exactly the same setup.. what do you plan for lights? I just have the NO it came with for now.
I have the regular lights that came with the AGA 54 Gallon Corner unit. How do you like this unit? So far, so good for us.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom