Just finished cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquadan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm so excited, I checked my water this morning and my nitrites are finally to zero. My nitrates are 100+. My question is what do I do next? I'm thinking I'm ready for a major water change. Please let me know what you think.

Now that you have no nitrites and high nitrates do as big of a water change as possible to bring the nitrates down then retest and see where your at.

yup! 75+% water change is what i would do too!
Course I always continue to feed ammonia for an extra 3 days and check in 24 hour increments to make sure that ammonia & nitrites ARE in fact 0 within 24 hours each time BEFORE doing the big water change. Better safe than sorry as my mom used to say :)

I've been dosing ammonia to 4 ppm everyday and for over a week it's at zero in less than 24hrs. Today is the first time the nitrites were zero. So you think I should keep dosing to 4 ppm for a few more days (and checking) before the large water change?

I've been dosing ammonia to 4 ppm everyday and for over a week it's at zero in less than 24hrs. Today is the first time the nitrites were zero. So you think I should keep dosing to 4 ppm for a few more days (and checking) before the large water change?

I dont think you need to dose anymore ammonia. Seems like youve had a pretty strong cycle judging by your nitrate readings. Just do multiple water changes (40%-50%) each til you get it down to a non toxic amount.

Back
Top Bottom