just got a tank that died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodney10954

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got a 55 gallon salt tank
that died 3 years ago (fish coral)
it still had all the coral and substrate in it
no water
should i throw everything out and start over
or can i use some of the old coral as base

what do you mean by fish coral? was there dead fish left in tehre also?
i would just get rid of the substrate if thats the case and clean off the dead corals and use them as base rock

it was just substrate and coral
in no water
they took out all dead fish 3 years ago but
never cleaned out the tank

My opinion is that nothing good (if anything) grows in that substrate. I would take out the coral and take a scrub brush to it, but I wouldn't use chemicals. Then I would let it soak in the water for about a day, and re-rinse.
:mrgreen: That is just what I would do personally.

IMO, Throw it all in the trash, clean tank and start fresh. What your trashing is cheap, so to save a little $ might cost you big in the future. 8)

Throw it all in the trash, clean tank and start fresh
I Agree.. Better safe than sorry.. You never know what if any chemicals were previously used in the tank ie; Copper.. Toss everything except the tank and clean the tank with bleach water.. Make sure you rinse real well and If it were my tank I would fill it and add some sort of chlorine remover as well and let it sit for a day or 2 then drain it and rinse a few more times and then I would start setting it up... But thats just me...

HTH,
James

i cleaned out the tank
im not going to use any of the old stuff
now i just have to figure out what kind of filter i want to use

glad we were all able to help, good luck on setting up your new tank!

Back
Top Bottom