Just Got My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I just got my tank (75g) and have will be ordering 160lbs of LR and got myself 3 maxijett 1200 PH. Question, can I just mix my salt with my normal tap water and let the heads mix it up or will this be bad for the LR?

If it's live, the life will definitely have a problem with undissolved salts. Mix it in a bucket first till the salt dissolves at least.

...please do more consulting as tap water may cause more problems in the long run. many aquarist, so it would seem, use RO/DI water to grow a cleaner reef with less pesky unwanted algae.

I am having a problem with phospsates and nitrates and it was coming from my tap water. On the recommendation of LFS my next top off will be with distilled water from the food store. This might be an option for you depending on tank size. Even my 10% changes are not expensive using gallon jugs. 3 gallons costs about $2.00.

Mix the salt first in the bucket this way your mesurments will be correct also undisolved salt can be harmful to fish and even burn them. I say adding it directly into your tank and letting the powerheads do the mixing is a bad idea also RO/DI is a good idea I have one :)

Back
Top Bottom