Just starting to cycle new tank. Just a few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 77gal tank set up now with just the water and two dead shrimp for cycling, its been set up for only a few days, i also added some cycle and start zyme for a little jump start, (cant get bio-spira here yet :( . Now what should i do? Do i get some live rock now to add in? I have read that this is good for the cycling process. Also as for live rock, can i just get some regular base rock and put the live rock on top of it, the corals should spread eventually? Also, when should i turn on my filter? Its a Fluval 404 canister with just Bio-Max and Carbon in it now. Ok, last question, promise... The water is a little cloudy, is this normal?

Thanks so much!

I can't say I know an extreme amount about all this yet. But when I set my tank up I did have my filter running and the water was cloudy for a day and then settled down. But I put live sand in so that probably increased the cloudyness but it is supposed to also help the cycle get going.

Live rock does help too from what I've heard. I don't keep corals just fish...so I don't have any clue about that. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom