Keep power heads on when adding new sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moog24

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put in 50 LBS of live sand over 48 hrs ago and i still can't see the rocks inside because of how cloudy it is. I turned my power heads off for a day and it improved a bit but nothing like it should. My question is, should i keep running my power heads or leave them off? Also, I am using dry rock, what is the best chemical i can use to get good bacteria to start to grow on them? I don't think the live sand will be enough but I could be wrong. Thanks in advanced for any help!

I put in 50 LBS of live sand over 48 hrs ago and i still can't see the rocks inside because of how cloudy it is. I turned my power heads off for a day and it improved a bit but nothing like it should. My question is, should i keep running my power heads or leave them off? Also, I am using dry rock, what is the best chemical i can use to get good bacteria to start to grow on them? I don't think the live sand will be enough but I could be wrong. Thanks in advanced for any help!

Are you running any sort of filter socks or floss? If you are then I’d definitely keep the pumps going it will clear up in time. In terms of cycling, I used the Red Sea Reef Mature kit, works great but you need to do daily dosing and make sure you’re following instructions.

You can probably turn the power heads on. The tank has to cycle anyway and the ph will blow the sand off the rocks. It’ll probably take another day or two to clear completely. I’ve used microbacter and turbostart for bacteria supplements. You’ll need to have an ammonia source (shrimp or liquid ammonia) though to actually provide a basis for the bacteria to feed on.

I am not running any filters right now. I don't want to ruin my canister or scum.

A lot of times that live sand really isn't live. I know it is advertised as live but it's it's for a long time and it's not live. Hopefully overtime here you'll be able to get it to so it is live. Good luck with the tank and hopefully keep us involved.

Back
Top Bottom