Keep sump from over flowing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,

What are your tips/tricks to keep the sump from over flowing? If my power gets cut to my sump, the refugium fills up pretty good.

I heard some people drill an air hole in the line near the top?

Do you just place the return high in the tank so if it over flows not a lot of water gets sucked in?

Please share your experience here.

Thank you.

I have a hole drilled into the water return right at the water line. This way there is no back siphon from the tank in event of a power failure.

I have a hole drilled into the water return right at the water line. This way there is no back siphon from the tank in event of a power failure.

Doesn't that cause a constant slight water leak? of course leaking into the tank and maybe an inch under water but am I understanding that correctly?

Yep, I have a small stream of water that comes out but it's a small price to pay for the safety. As mentioned you can also use a check valve. I went the cheap option. LOL And if you drill it downwards towards the water line you dont get splash up. :)

Thats the same with me. A 1/16" hole drilled about 1" above the water line. It loses very little, and actually sounds like a miniature fountain. Kinda soothing, but with no salt creep issues.

Whats a one way check valve? I'm going to lowes tonight to ask; sounds like the way I'd wanna go.

Thanks for your fast responses! :)

Back
Top Bottom