keeping ammonia and nitrite down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know my ammonia and nitrite are going to rise so what is the best way to keep it down? Thanks!

Are you cycling or is the tank running? If it's running some info will help-fish load, filtration, etc.

Its running with 4 fish and I have a CPR skimmer and fluval 304 and an extra pump. I have a 46 gallon bow with pinkface wrasse, blue eyed kole tang and two black clownfish.

What are you using as a bio-filter? If you have LR how much? What is the total turn-over of the filter and the pump (gph)?
That kole tang is going to be an issue in a 46 gal. It's just not big enough.

If the tank has not completed its cycle yet it will be a challenge to keep NH3 and NO2 at levels that will not kill your fish. Frequent PWC will help but they will prolong your cycle drastically. Best practice is to take the fish back to the LFS and let your tank cycle natualy and completely before slowing adding any livestock. It would be better to get some store credit for the fish as oppossed to letting them perrish in your tank. As mike stated, a 46gal is simple too small to keep any tang. It is not too late to get started out on the right foot.

Notice what Lando said.....SLOWLY adding livestock. #1 mistake of people setting up new tanks is overloading them way too early. How long has your tank been running??? The tang is not going to be happy in that size tank. How did you cycle your tank? How long did you allow it to cycle? Have you been testing your water regularly? Since you have 4 fish in your tank have you been doing regular PWCs? If you have enough LR and a skimmer in your CYCLED tank then your ammonia should not be a problem. If you have not cycled your tank and you do not have enough LR, then I agree with Lando...take the fish back for now and let your tank get ready to support the fish you want!

Back
Top Bottom