Keeping Dry Rock Together Without Expoxies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've decided to get the Clownfish next summer. I've decided on a pair of True Percula, either regular or Misbar. I can probably order in the sand that I want, my LFS carries Caribsea live sand. All that said, how to put the dry rock together, without a two part exopy? I've never used it before, and don't want to mess with it for something so important. This will be my first, and only, marine tank. The closest I've come with freshwater would be the Mbuna and Julidochromis. Even then I ended up not using actual rock, or only smaller ones, nothing big enough to break the tanks, or getting a hold of ceramic caves.

You can just stack it together without issue. Some people use epoxy or even acrylic rods to hold rock together. You need to use actual rock in saltwater, it is the main source of filtration in these systems in terms of the nitrate cycle.

But how? I've never used much actual rock in my tanks, and it can be pretty heavy. The biggest concern is it coming undone, hitting the sides of the tank, and the tank breaking.

Just set them up so they're stable. Mine haven't moved in years, just friction and gravity. You'll find dry rock fits together nicely.

As brookster said, gravity and friction end up doing the work. My rockwork has been in place for several years now at this point and doesn't move. You need some heavy sand movers like engineer gobys or pistol shrimp, for example, to make such movement of sand to make possible instability. But that can be solved with things like egg crate under the sand bed or securing the rocks together with resin rods or epoxy.

Back
Top Bottom