Keeping Sand Clean??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtoycrow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having a little problem keeping my sand clean. I have a few areas where alge is growing. My live rock is has a little alge growth but not much. I also have about 25 hermit crabs, 10 turbo snails, and a black sailfin blenny to eat the alge but the usually stay up on the live rock. What would be the best way to get rid of this problem?

It covers about 8 inch diameter and is dark green in color. Looks like it is on the just the surface of the sand.

is it plantlike or more slick and smooth? It sounds more like a cyano then an algae from your description.

that is going to be cyano. Here is an article that may be of use to you. Do not let the fact that most cyano is red in color fool you, it can also come in shades of blue/green slime.

Frequent PWCs will help the situation but you need to figure out why you are getting the algae. How long has your tank been setup? What kind of filtration do you have? What kind of lighting? How long are your lights on? How often do you feed and how much? What kind of flow do you have in your tank? Chances are that you have an excess of nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom