Keith's Frag Tank / Coral Propagation Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone running the Taotronics Led lights for corals able to tell me what model is best and how many I would need for the 6' x 3' x 16" tank? I want to get more AI units but I think I need at least four and that is not chump change hehe.

Anyone running the Taotronics Led lights for corals able to tell me what model is best and how many I would need for the 6' x 3' x 16" tank? I want to get more AI units but I think I need at least four and that is not chump change hehe.

Nevermind lol. I just ordered my AI Sol Blues .....

Hoping that four of the light fixtures will be sufficient. I know I should have about six but i'm going with four for now.

Was hoping someone could help answer couple questions. I was considering painting the bottom of the tank after I finish removing that paper that was stuck on there. Does the color matter that I paint it? I'm planning on a bare bottom and don't know for photographing corals (have not started researching this yet) with anything other than my iPhone lol if certain colors help or hinder photographing. I was thinking white but then thought that could maybe mess with a camera. Maybe blue? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
*edit* any suggestions on type of paint also?

Last edited:
I imagine black would be best. Would add the most contrast to the opposing colours. Make things really pop. Would also lower glare in the photo

I imagine black would be best. Would add the most contrast to the opposing colours. Make things really pop. Would also lower glare in the photo

Thank you for the input. Black was my preference but I wasn't sure if a lighter color would be more beneficial.

Anyone who had painted an acrylic tank able to suggest a paint. I was thinking spray paint. Flat black, glossy black?

I've used both flat and glossy and found no real difference. I like being able to easily wipe the glossy surface.

Higher end spray paint you get to use less

Lights are due to arrive today. Return pump and ATO on order from BRS due to arrive next week. Already have skimmer, Hopefully able to start building stand this weekend.

Lights arrived but unfortunately they mixed up the shipment and my controller wasn't sent :(

Yeah I was told the controller shipped from a different location and if it doesn't arrive by this weekend they will overnight another Monday. That won't hold me up whatsoever as I will start the stand build this weekend and don't know exactly how much time I will get to spend on it with other projects and a birthday party to go to lol. Also some parts like the return pump won't be in till next week. I still need to move stuff out of my spare room and plumb in another line underneath my house from my RODI unit to the room. Lots to do lol. Also, I'm most likely putting the new controller on my DT and using the old one on the frag tank :p

Can't decide if I should try to run a recirculating skimmer off of my return line or overflow. Overflows are two 1 1/2" lines and the return is 1" Eheim Compact 5000. Skimmer requires 400-450 gph feed. Any suggestions?

Can't decide if I should try to run a recirculating skimmer off of my return line or overflow. Overflows are two 1 1/2" lines and the return is 1" Eheim Compact 5000. Skimmer requires 400-450 gph feed. Any suggestions?

My preference is the overflow, hopefully somebody could weigh in on this.

So I had a change of plans and I am going to add a second return pump and return line. This will be an Eheim 2000 528 gph pump 3/4" line. Worst case if the skimmer doesn't run well off the overflow line or flying the main return I could use the 2000 as a dedicated pump for it.

Stand done! May not be pretty but its done. Really wanted to paint it but its supposed to dry for 30 days first. Don't think I'm gonna wait lol.

Legs are 2x6 with 2x4 inside. 2x6 braces around perimeter and one in the center. Between the center and ends there is a 2x4 cross brace centered between the center 2x6 and the ends on both sides.

Now with close to 3000 pounds of weight I will try next weekend to go under the house a brace the floor joists and get my RODI water line ran. So much to do........

Attachments

• image-2247914353.jpg
    image-2247914353.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 176
Back
Top Bottom