Keith's Frag Tank / Coral Propagation Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only new news to update is I registered my domain name. Next is paperwork for the board of equalization. Not sure if I can post this or not but the name is: Keith's Coral Reefs. I know......real creative lol but deciding on a name and getting agreement from outside sources can get tiring. Finally just gotta pick something hehe.

New Vega controller arrived yesterday yay! Installed on the DT. Much easier to use than the old AI one!

Received my Eheim 5000 this week along with my Tunze Osmolator 3155. The Eheim 2000 shipped today do ill se that next week.

Ordered 100# of dry reef rock and 80# of sand today for the 55 gal going underneath the frag tank, next to the 125 gal I'm using as a sump.

I was just looking over your thread and you were talking about painting the bottom. That sounds like a good idea. If you we're still looking for suggestions I would suggest krylon fusion gloss black. I have used it before and the black really makes colors pop. And krylon fusion is paint for plastic so it would work perfect for a acrylic tank.

I was just looking over your thread and you were talking about painting the bottom. That sounds like a good idea. If you we're still looking for suggestions I would suggest krylon fusion gloss black. I have used it before and the black really makes colors pop. And krylon fusion is paint for plastic so it would work perfect for a acrylic tank.

Thanks for reading over the thread and for the paint suggestion. I actually picked up a can of that exact spray paint last weekend. I'm going to paint the bottom but I have lots if work to do to get it to where I want before painting. I need to remove all the old paper & adhesive that is left on the bottom and I picked up a headlight scratch removing kit but I realize now I need to get something for deeper scratches first lol. Haven't decided if I'm going that route yet or not.

I ordered from reefrocks. It's my first time ordering from them but the prices sure are good. $85 for #50 of rock (includes shipping) and for $15 extra you get #40 of sand.

Reef rocks is a great product for cheap,
But the guy is horrible about shipping. So be prepared to wait about a month to get it.

When i ordered my sand got there in a week and it took 5 weeks for my rock to arrive.

But the guy is horrible about shipping. So be prepared to wait about a month to get it.

When i ordered my sand got there in a week and it took 5 weeks for my rock to arrive.

Yeah I'm glad in not in a hurry for it. It's not for aquascape its strictly for resale. Btw I spoke to that guy and he said he is changing his protocol now cuz he picked up some nationwide accounts like Petco and they order like # 300,000 of rock! H

Got the floor reinforced. Ran the RODI line under the house from the garage to the frag room.
Scraped off all that darn paper and adhesive off the bottom of the tank and painted it. Shots are from testing it again after small accident. Wind blew over tank while paint was drying and cracked it. Ughh. I glued crack and tested tank seems to be fine. :crossing fingers:

Attachments

• image-263949440.jpg
    image-263949440.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 200
  • image-673912834.jpg
    image-673912834.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 188
  • image-2056319398.jpg
    image-2056319398.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 180
  • image-3350163465.jpg
    image-3350163465.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 188
  • image-490160759.jpg
    image-490160759.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 163
Going to start my sump build this week. Anyone ever silicone glass baffles into an acrylic tank before? I know plenty are glass baffles on glass tanks but I was wondering glass on acrylic.

I'm considering using acrylic baffles instead. Anyone able to chime in?

Last edited:
I used acrylic on glass with. I issues. I assume glass on acrylic would work the same. I have had no issues in my sump.

I used acrylic on glass with. I issues. I assume glass on acrylic would work the same. I have had no issues in my sump.

Thanks for the input. I ditched the glass baffles and I am going with acrylic. I actually think they will hold better being chemically welded on three sides.

I received usps priority mail tracking Sunday night for the sand and got a ups ground tracking for the rock last night. Ordered last Thursday and shipped mon & tues......that's not bad. I should see sand end of this week and the rock early next week:)

Nice! That is pretty exciting.

How much rock did you order

Started with #100 of dry rock and #80 of sand. I will order more later and will seed the sand and rock with cured sand and rock from the DT. This was just to get started so when I get running I can have some to put in the LR tank/sump and start the process of making it "live".

Secondary return pump and controllers/monitors arrived today and I will glue those in most likely this weekend as I need to clean the tank and were having a mini rainy session. Also, my acrylic baffles were picked up today. I got four baffles total, two clear and one black all the same size for the return side of the sump and one black one two inches taller than the others with a slot at the height as the others. Checked tracking on my rock and sand and apparently that's all that it was the other day, tracking info. The sand actually shipped out today along with the rock. The rock shows arriving next Wednesday and the sand doesn't have an arrival date but is coming priority mail so I believe I'll see it Sat it Mon. That's fine as I still have so much to do, build something for the lights & mount them, glue sump baffles, drill the 55 gal for bulkheads, run all the plumbing & electrical, and need to finish organizing the room better. Ughh. Still need to obtain a chiller .....,,,

Lol baby steps.

PS. Silly question. What glue are you using?

Also did you say you were putting the tank in the basement

Back
Top Bottom