KH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathyjo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new at this and my tank has only been up for 4 weeks. I thought it had completed it's cycle, but now I'm not sure. the KH test confuses me since the liquid does not change color I'm assuming that means the Hardness is greater than 16. The pH is also very high around 8.8 and I have not added anything to make it that way. The only additive I've used is 1 tsp of essential elements (Kent Marine brand).

I have a 55 gal tank with live sand and 57# of live rock, 4 damsels , a protien skimmer, 10 gal refugium/sump, and have been buying RO water from the pet store. The lights had a preset timer and inclue 700+, 420/460, and LED bulbs. I would like to add soft coral, anamone, and a maroon clown. The water test show: specific gravity 1.023, KH>16, Ca 400, Mg 1260, Si 0, I2 0, Cu 0.1, Nitrite 5, Nitrate 7, Amonia 0.5, pH 8.8, and the water temperature is 77.9'.

The Amonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate were 0 for 3 days and now they are high again - I'm guessing I can correct this with a partial water change or two. The pH and Hardness concern me; I don't know what to do to lower those. Does anyone have a suggestion? What do I do next?

Your tank isn't fully cycled. Probably die off from the LR. Did you get the LR locally and was it cured? If you got it mail order even if it was 'cured' it needed to be re-cured since stuff died on the journey to your house.

Water changes, dose with Prime or equivalent to make it more hospitable for those in there now. No more fish, no anemone until your tank has been stable for 6+ months.

IMO

Thanks

I bought the LV from a local store. It turned brown for a week or so now the brown is gone and there is some green algea on it. Wow 6 months to wait! ok I'll be patient.

6 months on the anemone... fish whenever you get cycled. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with the anenome. At least 6 months. Only check Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates till your cycle is over. All other test will be skewed. Wait till cycle is done and then do a 50% PWC and then test for the other stuff.

How do I tell when the cycle is done? I didn't change anything in the past few days and the amonia, nitrite, and nitrate are back to zero. Really all I did was empty the skimmer and add 1 qt of freshwater. Do I just wait 2 or 3 more weeks then do the 30-50% water change? How do I know when the cycle is done?

Hi...I am in the same boat a bit earlier. I am in the process of cycling my tank. I met a pretty knowledgable member on here that gave excellent advice but he is not on today and I have the time to mess around with the tank. here is what I posted him. Any advice anyone?
Hi...I got a testing kit...drove 45 miles to get one and the one they had didnt test for nitrate..but I have the strip (i know, but better than nothin)It does test ammonia and nitrite though. Sooo My tank is still just live sand, marco rock 50lb, and live fiji10lb, and no living creature but my darn aiptasia. (a whole nother topic) I tested the ammonia and the nitrite this morning and got
Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite 0.3
Nitrate 20

The ammonia is really between the 1.5 and 3.0 but closer to the 3.0
I raised the temp to 80 and have not changed the salinity which reads at 1.023
Did not put the shrimp in until I could really read the ammonia, my strip kit didnt have it.
Now what...I have not done a water change and need to know if you have any suggestions or advice where to go, now that I have more exact testing. I havent posted a thread because I am afraid that I will get conflicting info, but sure can do that if you dont have time to help. Thanks so much..Stacy

Thanks lilfirefly, I'm asuming I can do small water changes everyweek as I would do if the tank was fully cycled. But I still don't understand how to tell when the tank is fully cycled, especially when the toxin levels seem to fluctuate for no aparent reason. - sorry for the spelling -

Back
Top Bottom