Kh- takes 16 drops to turn yellow!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So does 16 drops mean that I have a high ph swing? I am kinda confused about kh...:/

What test kit are you using? Alkalinity in sw is measured usually in dkh or m/eq. There should be a chart that comes with the kit to tell you what that is measured in. Here's a great article to read on sw chemistry that I think will help you a lot http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

If you are doing proper weekly water changes, your parameters will be just fine. It takes a pretty heavy load of SPS corals to start making a heavy draw on calcium, alkalinity, and mag.

If you are doing proper weekly water changes, your parameters will be just fine. It takes a pretty heavy load of SPS corals to start making a heavy draw on calcium, alkalinity, and mag.

I am currently just cycling so I am only doing a water change every 3 weeks

You don't need to do any water changes during a cycle. There is no need to add anything other than possibly some pure ammonia. It's literally sit and watch the nitrate cycle until completed and then do big water changes to get those nitrates down.

You don't need to do any water changes during a cycle. There is no need to add anything other than possibly some pure ammonia. It's literally sit and watch the nitrate cycle until completed and then do big water changes to get those nitrates down.

Ok, I do have a hermit crab in there, should I still do small ones?

You can if you are interested in keeping them alive. They are more hardy inverts, but it still isn't healthy for them. This is why one needs to cycle a system before adding any livestock.

You can if you are interested in keeping them alive. They are more hardy inverts, but it still isn't healthy for them. This is why one needs to cycle a system before adding any livestock.

I cycled w/o anything in it for over a month. Only a couple weeks ago I added a hermit crab just to see how it would do and it seems to be doing fine.

Many many many people find value in API liquid test kits.

For fw, they're pretty much junk for sw use especially testing for alkalinity, calcium, mag and phosphates. They're acceptable for ammonia, nitrites and trates though.

Either way, the only thing that matters is getting things where they need to be for the OP.

So, the tank was cycled and we just need to get the first fish in there. I wouldn't worry about anything outside of the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates in a fish only system. Once a tank starts getting full of corals, then and only then you can worry about things like alk and calcium.

Either way, the only thing that matters is getting things where they need to be for the OP.

So, the tank was cycled and we just need to get the first fish in there. I wouldn't worry about anything outside of the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates in a fish only system. Once a tank starts getting full of corals, then and only then you can worry about things like alk and calcium.

Yea, the only thing I'm trying to get up is the ph... it's at like 8.0 and I need it to be up a little but more for the seahorses I am putting in there

Back
Top Bottom