Killer shrimps and bleeding zoas???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The red algae like stuff on the zoas is bacteria. Its a bacteria that will suffocate corals by growing on it. You can use a product like Chemiclean to get rid of it or try to blow it off with a turkey baster. When I had it I used chemiclean never had it again.

Not a shrimp, amphipod, as Justin thought. generally harmless. Excellent live food.
There does seem to be a little cyano, but it's not covering the zoas. Chemiclean is good as a last resort, but first you need to address the cause of the cyano. Does no good to slap a bandage onto a knife wound if you haven't removed the knife yet.
Chemiclean will also mean no skimmer for at least two days, and it'll be several more before it skims correctly again.
Now, I hate to ask the obvious question, but based only on the picture you posted here... What makes you think the zoas are dying? One pic shows what look like healthy zoas, the last shows what looks like healthy Palys. They don't all have to be open all the time. Unless you're seeing polyps disappear or fall apart, I think they are probably fine.

Mac, thanks for the explanation. This zoas are new in my tank I had a little colony, like 15 polyps, that came with my live rock and they just disappear, thats why Im taking a closer look to the new zoas and tonight I found that red thing over them.

I was thinking it was the "shrimps" were the problem because every night I see them hidding in the base of the zoas, but maybe Its something else. About the cyano I dont know where it came from, all my levels seem to be fine:

1.024 / 32
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PH: 8
Phosphate: 0
Temp: 26.5

I also have like 3 polyps in the sump, and they are ok, so I think something is killing what i have in my tank.

I only have 3 reef safe fishes, 2 feather dusters and a sebae anemone.

What came with my LR (what I have found up to date)

1 stomatella, 2 brittle stars, 1 limpet, a lot of amphipod, somekind of strings coming out of some holes in my LR (someone told me they are spaguetti worms), a little crab and something that looks like a flat worm.

I have not a right ID for the crab and the flatworm, but here are some pictures

View attachment 108357

View attachment 108358

The cyano probably came in on them. Just try to brush it off. The shrimp like things are just pods. As for the first ones that died were they covered in red?

Best way to fight Cyano and algae breakouts would be frequent water changes and not over feeding. Your levels will be skewed because the cyanobacteria uses up the excess nutrients, giving a somewhat false reading.

The Cyano should brush off easily and siphon it up as you do your water change.

I really dont know, I didnt pay much attention to the first ones, they just disappear in about 5 days, I found a polyp on the sand so I took it out and place it in the refugium and now its ok growing.

I really dont know, I didnt pay much attention to the first ones, they just disappear in about 5 days, I found a polyp on the sand so I took it out and place it in the refugium and now its ok growing.

If the brittle stars are green they might be the cause. Im not certain but ive heard they will eat corals if they are the greens ones.

The brittle stars are black and the other one brown, so I dont think they are the problem, but Its good to know about the green ones.

Green brittle stars are a danger to fish if not well fed. Never heard of them hurting corals.
The second pic actually looks like a nudibranch to me, but that's outside my area of expertise so I offer no guarantees. That crab, though... WTF? I've never seen a crab like that before. Cool. Also the most likely culprit.
Go to live aquaria or some other site and look up saltwater crabs. Then filter down to "Reef Safe" only and see how few are left, if any. Then read the descriptions and you'll probably see a warning about them eating stuff we don't want them to.
Take the Emerald crab, for example. Marketed as a solution to Valonia (bubble( algae. Herbivore, reef safe.... except that every one I've ever had has eaten coral, and the net is drowning in similar stories.
Next, we cover the Porcelain anemone crab. Nifty little guy. Almost defenseless, they hide in an anemone or LPS coral. Mine hid in a torch coral. They are filter feeders, with two fan like structures they hold out in the current. But I watched mine put those away and try to cut the tail off a Nassarius snail on numerous occasions.
Bottom line, even reef safe crabs are not reef safe. Since you described polyps simply going missing, and finding one detached and on the sand, I'd say they are being eaten by the crab. Try trapping it and keeping it isolated. If you still lose polyps, I'll mail you a free mushroom coral. My money is on the crab.

Back
Top Bottom