Lace rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is lace rock a good replacement for dry base rock?

I've only ever heard of 'lace' rock when people are starting up tanks with all macro rocks and add a 'live' rock to help 'lace' the rock in the tank. This is pretty ironic, as the macro rocks become live at the completion of your cycle. You don't need to use any lace or live rock as in the end, it is all 'live'.

Yeah with my last tank I used a dry base rock with live sand then cycled that for a month then added 10lbs of live rock and cycled that for about a month and a half and that worked I am just looking for an alternative to the dry rock at my lfs for $2.50 a lb

I've only ever used live rock in my tanks but am considering a macro rock only tank now that I've been burned by a vermetid snail outbreak. Controlling what you put in is a good thing...but the surprise of seeing what shows up is pretty cool too.

So if I just get all base rock and live sand it will become live and will it help with the algae?

You don't even need live sand. Like stated, it will become live over time.
In terms of algae control, the bacteria in the rock and sand completes the nitrate cycle. To control algae, you want to minimize nitrate and phosphates. This is the use of minimally feeding, ro/di water, protein skimming, and weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom