Led lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishking22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 100g and I saw a 60in lighting system at my LFS. It said it was reef lighting but I thought I had to have lots of watts for that? The system lasts 50k hours. It has blue and white LEDs. It's 400$. Is it worth it? I want to keep corals like zoos, anemone, frogspawn, and stuff like that. Would it be okay? And what is the ratio for base rock to live rock in my aquarium?

75% base to 25% live is a good ratio.

Was the fixture Marineland? If it was I wouldn't purchase it. They aren't very good.

When it comes to LEDs, watts aren't much of a measure of strength. Usually 3w LEDs are used and not too many to be comparable to a MH light.

I use LED lighting for my reef. It needs a mix of white and blue, and they need to be the 2, 3 or 4 watt LEDS. There are low cost, low power stuff out there that will not work for a reef, but a properly set up LED array is the best light source I have ever owned. Almost no heat and a linear output until they burn out. They also save a ton of electricity. Safer too. Expensive is the only disadvantage to the reef capable systems.

do you have a link to this led lighting i want to check it out

Greg's or the one Fishking is referring to?

I believe Greg's is DIY and Fishking's won't support a reef.

What tank are you looking to light? I may have a few suggestions

http://cgi.ebay.com/150W-Aquarium-C...ltDomain_0&hash=item3f080683f6#ht_2349wt_1235

I bought three of these a year ago for a 300 gallon reef that was 17 years old. Metal Halides with blue high output flouresents were previously used. Needed to be re-bulbed every year. My coral like it fine and are growing. My chiller rarely runs and my electric bill went down. Had to keep the units dusted as they draw dust.

As always, this was my experience,yours may be different. This may be a different manufacturer, but the setup looks the same. They are light weight and easily hung.

oh i have a 55G reef i have 6x 54W T5H0 lighting but i was just curious about leds i dont know much about them

150W Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Grow Light | eBay

I bought three of these a year ago for a 300 gallon reef that was 17 years old. Metal Halides with blue high output flouresents were previously used. Needed to be re-bulbed every year. My coral like it fine and are growing. My chiller rarely runs and my electric bill went down. Had to keep the units dusted as they draw dust.

As always, this was my experience,yours may be different. This may be a different manufacturer, but the setup looks the same. They are light weight and easily hung.

Thanks for the link

Halides turn a lot of the energy they use into heat rather than light, LEDs do the opposite. Hence why you can have so few watts and have the tank/light fixture to stay much cooler

Does anyone know where I can get a good led system? It was only 1w each. Not even close...lol. I'm amazed by how fast the comments came in. Usually it takes an hour to get one.

Check greg's first link. He actually has them and the price is good, so if it works well them go for that one. Hang it very high though LOL

I don't sell them. Just a user. The 1 watts work fine as long as there are enough of them. Three 1 watt LEDs put out the same light as one 3 watt LED.

My LED's over my 320g... I haven't had corals yet I'm just starting it out.
The colors are a little off... my camera sucks.

Warm white (3000k)
img_1304822_0_da1e4c4a5e869a7fdb51559d7adb4c9c.jpg

White (5000k-6000k)
img_1304822_1_c5c41ca46c4ff571bb2205fadf215835.jpg

Blue
img_1304822_2_4d195c73dd8fe4d3b84ca43d8a34efc0.jpg

All on at once.
img_1304822_3_018d43d2ffe13d4b0999600cc47ba49a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom