LED question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bduni50

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello folks, glad to be a part of the forum. So me and my stepson want to try our hand in a reef. I've always had FW so not real versed in SW. What I have is a 20L (30-12-12) tank. I will be using a ac50 filter. Plan on getting 10 pounds of black live sand (not crazy about deep sand beds). That ok? Not sure what I need for power heads? On the lights I really want LED. But don't know what things I should be looking for. Watts per gallon. How long it should be for complete coverage? I've been looking at lights on amazon. Any thoughts or suggestion?

Also will be getting 15-20 pounds of live rock.

Thanks for suggestions in advance

What kind of coral are you planning on trying to keep? All LEDs are not created equal. Most are just accent lighting in all reality. A good reef lighting is about 2-3 watts per LED diode, in my opinion. A huge amount of popularity for the taotronics LEDs, that you can find on ebay and amazon. They cover about 2 ft of tank space and you can keep any photosynthetic creature under them.

Oh I forgot, main focus is on lps and softies. No sump so don't think I will have great success with sps. Will use ro/do from LFS

Back
Top Bottom