LED vs. T5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Vaughn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

I have a 60g reef tank with a nice set of soft corals and reef fish. I have been looking at upgrading my current t5 and led light bar combo to an LED setup like the Maxspect Razr or Aquaillumination 52 LED lighting. What are your thoughts?

I have heard that the coral growth from T5's is far better than that of LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi all

I have a 60g reef tank with a nice set of soft corals and reef fish. I have been looking at upgrading my current t5 and led light bar combo to an LED setup like the Maxspect Razr or Aquaillumination 52 LED lighting. What are your thoughts?

I have heard that the coral growth from T5's is far better than that of LED.

That is a silly statement as coral growth depends on a lot of things. Lighting is only one factor. That being said LEDs grow coral just as well as t5s and IMO plenty proven now. You will save energy, money and time using LEDs, not to mention not having to buy new bulbs every year. Those lights you mentioned are definitely sweet an should do fine. I have no personal experience with those brands as I use a kessil but I'm sure someone with them will come along

Thank you for the advice. I have been doing a ton of research and it's so funny that the guys at my local aquarium shop are telling me to stay away from the LED's. I have seen a couple really awesome setups a that include built in timers, dusk to dawn effects as well as programs that simulate lunar cycles.

I'm running two evergrow d120 led fixtures over my 55 reef and I am getting amazing growth! The colors that pop under led lighting are unbeatable. I recommend them to everyone

Back
Top Bottom