lettuce nudi question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
picked up a small lettuce nudi last week from an LFS as I wanted one for a while. I do have different algaes in my nano reef so I figure there is going to be something in there it will like, hair included but Ive noticed the last couple days its actually hanging out at the top of my tanks back wall. I know there is brown (what looks to be) diatom on the glass but do they actually eat this? I have placed it gently back on the rocks and it will sit there and graze for a while on the hair and flat green algae (at least it looks like it is) but then move right back to the same area. My water parameters are fine, flow is not too high, in fact the spot its moving TO prob has the most flow of anywhere in the tank.

I wanted to see how well it held up before I got a second one, because I do really like them, but I wanted to know if this was normal behavior. Ive done a lot of research before getting one but always read they mainly go for hair and bryo algae not brown diatom.

Thanks

also I know they dont actually EAT algae and literally suck out the cells for storage but I just say they eat algae or graze because its more broad.

picked up a small lettuce nudi last week from an LFS as I wanted one for a while. I do have different algaes in my nano reef so I figure there is going to be something in there it will like, hair included but Ive noticed the last couple days its actually hanging out at the top of my tanks back wall. I know there is brown (what looks to be) diatom on the glass but do they actually eat this? I have placed it gently back on the rocks and it will sit there and graze for a while on the hair and flat green algae (at least it looks like it is) but then move right back to the same area. My water parameters are fine, flow is not too high, in fact the spot its moving TO prob has the most flow of anywhere in the tank.

I wanted to see how well it held up before I got a second one, because I do really like them, but I wanted to know if this was normal behavior. Ive done a lot of research before getting one but always read they mainly go for hair and bryo algae not brown diatom.

Thanks

also I know they dont actually EAT algae and literally suck out the cells for storage but I just say they eat algae or graze because its more broad.

Actually, they do eat the green algae as well as some of it going to their body for coloration and disguise.
The animals that are mobile know what they like and can move to any area that suits their desire. It's why anemones don't always stay where you place them, feather dusters don't stay where their tubes are if they don't like where they were placed or starfish always show themselves 24 hours a day. If your nudibrach likes the higher flow area, you should allow it to stay there. If you don't see it ever move from there to feed, you should increase the water flow in areas with your green algae to help entice him to go to feed there. (y)

Actually, they do eat the green algae as well as some of it going to their body for coloration and disguise.
The animals that are mobile know what they like and can move to any area that suits their desire. It's why anemones don't always stay where you place them, feather dusters don't stay where their tubes are if they don't like where they were placed or starfish always show themselves 24 hours a day. If your nudibrach likes the higher flow area, you should allow it to stay there. If you don't see it ever move from there to feed, you should increase the water flow in areas with your green algae to help entice him to go to feed there. (y)

Thanks. It's only a 3 gallon so my flow control is actually minimal and mostly DIY. I'll keep a good eye on it for now!
I'm sure there is something up there it likes just want to know what. Like I said the only thing I see if brown specks. Unless there is really fine hair algae I can't see.

Thanks. It's only a 3 gallon so my flow control is actually minimal and mostly DIY. I'll keep a good eye on it for now!
I'm sure there is something up there it likes just want to know what. Like I said the only thing I see if brown specks. Unless there is really fine hair algae I can't see.

Yeah, that's a small tank but if you want to test it, change where the flow goes and see if it moves to that new area. (y)

Yeah, that's a small tank but if you want to test it, change where the flow goes and see if it moves to that new area. (y)

It seemingly move to the front now. Maybe there is some micro algae growing around the rim it just likes that I can't see.

Back
Top Bottom