Lid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my tank doesnt have a lid right now and it looses water rapidly like an inch and a half every 2days. I would like to put a glass lid on it to keep my salinity at a better balance and to avoid topping it off every 2 days. Im starting a reef tank with a 4bulb t5ho coralife fixture, and dont know if the black strip in the middle of the lid will create insufficient light in that area, Will it do this? If its better to not have a lid for light reasons I am fine with doing top offs.

Last question about a lid will the lid help with evaporation that much if I have to remove like 1/3 of the back of the plastic trim on the lid because of my HOB filter

The lid would slow evaporation but its usually not recommended. Its good to have a few inches in between the light and water surface. It promotes gas exchange and just looks cool, I did that on my tank and noticed that it had allot more evaporation but the effects made it worth. I have to add about half a gallon every day but its no problem.

I would prefur no lid to get better light into the tank so i may just go with the daily or every other day top off.

You can purchase automatic top off devices that will fill keep the water level, and therefore the salinity stable, as well. Some can be hooked directly to an RO/DI system, while other can be gravity feed from a bucket.

Its probably not a half gallon a day but no theres no leak I would deffinitly know about a leak.

You might need to top off 2 or 3 times a day to keep your SG from fluctuating to much. An ATO is the best solution. I have a one gallon jug under my 55 and sometimes in the same I have to fill it up twice but at least the SG remains the same.

ok so I dont understand why I cant have a lid really...couldnt I just remove the strip that holds the glass peices together then the light wouldnt be blocked at all. I just loose alot of water beings its a small tank and I think that a lid is needed, plus I want a warrse and they jump so id need a lid.

ok so it promotes the gas exchange, but it still does it with a lid...maybe not as much but by adding a lid I find it hard to belive that there is no longer a gas exchange between the water and the air, as long as the lid isnt air tight I dont see how this would become an issue or even hinder the gas exchange that is taking place on a microscopic level. Im not arguing that it doesnt im just saying with the amount of information you are providing is inadequit to decide if the lid is a good or bad thing. my questions are what effects will having a lid have on the water chemistry based on this gas exchange, what are your reasons for knowing this is an issue? If it is why do majority of people have a lid? Finaly alot of the time LIDS are maditory anyways to prevent fish from jumping out of the tank beings alot of marine fish will based off the information I have read.

ok so it promotes the gas exchange, but it still does it with a lid...maybe not as much but by adding a lid I find it hard to belive that there is no longer a gas exchange between the water and the air, as long as the lid isnt air tight I dont see how this would become an issue or even hinder the gas exchange that is taking place on a microscopic level. Im not arguing that it doesnt im just saying with the amount of information you are providing is inadequit to decide if the lid is a good or bad thing. my questions are what effects will having a lid have on the water chemistry based on this gas exchange, what are your reasons for knowing this is an issue? If it is why do majority of people have a lid? Finaly alot of the time LIDS are maditory anyways to prevent fish from jumping out of the tank beings alot of marine fish will based off the information I have read.

Glass lids with all the plastic edges that completely cover the top of the aquarium do interfer with gas exchange on saltwater tanks. The effect on water is a resulting drop in pH. While not a huge issue, it does occur. Additionally, on tanks that are predrilled, the lower water level allows the accumulation of saltcreep on the lid, inhibiting light from reaching the corals (this in my opinion is a much bigger issue than the gas exchange). Can't speak to this particular forum, but the majority of people on the other saltwater forums I frequent do not have glass lids. In fact, most don't use any type of lid. However, those who keep fish, like firefish which are known jumpers use a mesh cover to prevent the fish from jumping.

that you very much for you explination on the gas exchange my issue with the lid is like you said the saltcreep that will prevent light from getting to my corals, I was going to use egg crate but this to make for alot of blocked light IMO. How doe sthe mesh lids work? do I make a wood frame then attach a mesh material to it via staples?

You could, but most I've seen are done use screen frames with a plastic mesh. Let me do some looking and I'll see if I can't find you a link.

Back
Top Bottom