Light for the refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was going to set up a refugium in the sump under the display tank and was wondering about lighting it. I've been told that those silver shaded utility clamp on lamps with a 9watt compact fluorescent should do the trick. I was planning on a 3" sand bed with a few small live rocks or rubble and some algae. I think what I've read also says that the light goes on when the main lights are off to have a stable PH. Can this algae be fed to the tangs? What algae can I put in there? Thanks...

Steve

Different folks do things different ways with lighting in their fuge. The light you stated will be fine.

How long/when you light is a little bit personal preference, and a little dependant on the macros you run in there.

I run a reverse lighting schedule, like you mentioned. My fuge lights run opposite my DT lights. Many run their fuge lights 24/7 too.

Color temperature is also important. Many simply think it is a reef so they get the bluest lights they can find. However, macroalgae will want the same color light as terrestrial plants, so something in the 4000-6500K is ideal (reddish or yellowish white to the naked eye). I leave mine on 24/7. I have two of the lights you are talking about but they are 20watts each. The bulbs I use in mine are compact fluorescent but have built-in reflectors (they are flood lamps) so I don't need or use the metal reflector that comes on the clamp lamp (saves space).

I would not do a 3" sand bed. I have talked to a lot of people who have done them and they have said it needs to be larger to be effectvie and it is also really easy to have problems with toxic pockets developing. I have about 1" of oolite sand and a couple nassarius snails down there to keep it healthy. Oolite sand is small and spherical. It can go in and out of solution very easily so it helps keep calcium and alkalinity at proper levels.

Back
Top Bottom