light pollution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

makana

Aquarium Advice Activist
my PITA housemate will not compromise on the placement of the television - he says it simply MUST get moved to right across from my reef, which i put there because it was a quiet, dark area. people watch tv at night a LOT, when the tank is "sleeping" and i am almost sure it will annoy the coral...is this a valid assumption to make? should i cover the tank after the light go out?
thanks in advance!

Does moonlight annoy a coral?

I'm sure it ok. Light follows the inverse square law - - -

2X the distance from a light source = 4 X less energy received from the lightsource.

If you can't convince by logic - blind 'em with science!

You can't exactly read by TV light, so I really don't think your coral will be kept up at night. :wink:

JG

yeah, thats good reasoning, but remember the tv isnt the only light on, they will likely put the room light on too.
i only use my moonlight once a month...
i just cannot get over how selfcentered/selfish he is!! i cannot wait to move...

Tropical Fish from lower latitudes = longer periods of daylight. How selfish to place them on a more northern latitude's daylight schedule .

OR

Light experiences attenuation as it passes through a medium. Therefore as the light passes through the glass and then the water, much of the energy is absorbed.

OR

Conserve resources and use a lower wattage light. This one combined with #1 and #2 will make the fish feel like they are back " home" in the warm dusky tropical evening. :mrgreen:

If my roommate told me that we had to move the TV somewhere else because the few watts of light eminating from the TV set would disturb my resting corals, I think I seriously would have him committed.

Sometimes you have to take off your "aquarist" hat and imagine what the average person is thinking.

yep...thats true CM. but consider the fact i set the tank up where it is 3 months ago, first discussing that it cant be moved and i would like it to stay as undisturbed as possible. but still good point.
we have two living rooms and one has the tv and one the tank, now the tv and tank will be cramped in one room because i cannot move the tank now and he simple wont budge about keeping the tv down there. well ill just have to make do with his stubborness.
JG- im not sure but it sound like your calling me selfish...i am not in the least bit "selfish" or ignorant about my lighting schedule... i had it down to 12/12 because i had problems with cyano for a couple weeks.
it is cleared up now so i will put it back to a good 13 hour day.
is THAT enough light per day in your opinion?

TIA

I wouldn't worry about it at all. the amount of light that would actually enter the tank from a TV on the other side of the room couldn't be more than 3-5 watts - no more than moonlights.

I think this is probably one of those situations where you have to "choose your battles" - and this probably shouldn't be one of them.

Now if he tells you that you have to move the tank (especially after you were there first), now THAT'S a battle worth fighting.

good call on battling - nobody likes to battle.
guess what im going to do? i think i'll switch the lighting schedule so day is at night and viceversa. the room is always very dimly lit during the day.
but is 13 hours on and 11 hours off a good display tank lighting schedule?

"JG- im not sure but it sound like your calling me selfish...i am not in the least bit "selfish" or ignorant about my lighting schedule... i had it down to 12/12 because i had problems with cyano for a couple weeks.
it is cleared up now so i will put it back to a good 13 hour day.
is THAT enough light per day in your opinion? "

TIA

No not at all - being sarcastic regarding you roomie's reasoning .... sorry. Not directed at you at all......

JG

The only thing you need to worry about are certain skiddish fish species and whether or not they have sufficient hiding places. FWIW, I have a 52" TV facing the tank about 15 ft distance and it has created no issues.

Cheers
Steve

cool. okay guys...the light went out from 3 pm until 8pm for a nap on his weird transition day. tneh it will go on from 7 pm until 8 am every night.
anyone coming over to my placec for cheese, wine, and the launch of the new photoperiod? ahahahahhaha

makana said:
tneh it will go on from 7 pm until 8 am every night.
I hope you meant go off, not on. Dim ambient light at nightime is one thing but reverse lighting the photoperiod would not be recommended. Fish need a period where all is dark or dim so they can rest.

Cheers
Steve

what is dark or dim? the room is always dim as it has north- and east-facing windows only which are always closed off by curtains. i thinkit will get more night period using the reverse lighting method.

My 75G is in my living room. My light cycle is from 11AM to 11PM, it gets plenty of stray light..Thus far, nothing but happy corals, fish and such. Considering my wife leaves EVERY freggin light in the house on till I goto bed (12AM, 1AM?) and the kids turn them all back on when they get up (7AM?) I'd say a little tv tunnel vision won't hurt..Who knows, those re runs of Tony Danza in his break through role may cause considerable growth ; )

I have a TV in the same room as my reef, and like steve-s mentioned, most of my fish will settle down except for my tang. Any light at all and he is roaming around, unable to settle in his spot for the night. IMO, I'd aim for atleast 6-7 hours of darkness.

makana said:
what is dark or dim?
Where ambient light does not affect the tank. If you can see inside the tank with any clarity, it's getting too much light. Fish need a period of darkness where they are basically imobile for 6-8 hrs. If not, they will quickly become stressed and sickly.

the room is always dim as it has north- and east-facing windows only which are always closed off by curtains. i thinkit will get more night period using the reverse lighting method.
I think you'll regret this choice but it's up to you. Besides, how will you enjoy the tank if it's lit while you are sleeping?

Cheers
Steve

Where ambient light does not affect the tank. If you can see inside the tank with any clarity, it's getting too much light. Fish need a period of darkness where they are basically imobile for 6-8 hrs. If not, they will quickly become stressed and sickly.
Steve-s
Does this include the 3/4 watt moon light LED. My coralife came with 2 led that I run opposite of the 10,000k and acintic.

today is abright an sunny morning. the tank lights just went off. i can see in there, but not well. the tomato clown is no where in sight, went to bed for sure. the pj cardinal is up as usual. all looks well.
my cleaner shrimps are unually active for evening time, but i think they will sttle in an hour or 2...the lightJUST went out 15 minutes ago.
oh yeah, i am busy with school all day these days so i will actauuly get to enjoy the tank more at night now...wantoher reason for the switch. aslo, i always have my company over at night and nobody likes ito hear "the tank i sleeping now"...
but it is REALLY dim in that room, i think all will be fine!

nevermind- thomas the tomato clown seem rally upset and awake now.
i tihnk the sun is bothering him.
should i change the light cycle again? will it hurt anything to switch it back and forth?
i promise, once it is going on a good one i wpont change it again. i want to set it like PC's from 11am-11pm. should i switch it to this allowing them only a few hours of darkness this night period?

adam

If you're really worried about it, throw a black sheet or tarp over the tank at night.

My fish were perfectly happy being on the dance floor of a nightclub (literally) with this method. Although... the tarp worked better since people were constantly putting their drinks on it. I don't think corals would like beer much, although the clown might... :dope:

Back
Top Bottom