Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mystair13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at installing lights in my canopy for a 75g FOWLR and suggestions of how many lights I should put in. Right now I am thinking about 2 VHO, one blue and one white. Will this be enough lighting or should I go to three or four? Thanks

If you don't plan on adding coral to the tank then the light is really for aesthetic purposes only. One or two bulbs would be fine. I would go with two just because it gives the tank a nice bright look and then if you wanted to try putting an actinic bulb in down the road to make the colors pop you have that option.

a 4 bulb t5 unit is fairly cheap and will allow some corals if you get the bug later which you will

I would stay really cheap, use T8's or T12's if its fish only. If you get a 4 bulb T5 fixture, its not going to be enough to do much coral and you will end up replacing it anyway, which will just be money wasted.

I have VHO bulbs and I believe the 4 foot bulbs are 110 watts. 220 watts will get you by with soft corals and most LPS corals. I did it for 7 yrs with my 55 gallon tank.

Thanks everyone for the advice and yes, I probably will get the itch for corals down the road. I have already thought about it but don't want to get to "deep" being a beginner.

Why dont you do the retrofits and do 4 VHO bulbs. That`s what I have now. 4 Six foot bulbs at 160 watts each.

Back
Top Bottom