Light Spectrum and lighting questions Debate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Not sure that this in the right section...

I just sort of finished this article below. In addition to this article, other info on light spectrum and lighting for SW.

This goes way over my comprehension in many of the areas. (the graphs are a great help, lol) I am in no way a scientist.

But what I did notice is that the metal halide was the premium standard for lighting. But now with LED as an option, there is a possibility it could fill all the needs and exceed needs and expectations.

As far as lighting, it COULD exceed basic needs and the benefits of having them: spectrum, temperature and dimmable control and seasonal, weather, programming, electricity savings and very long life, options as well,..... as long as it isn't a plain blue and white LED.

So with this in mind, is a full spectrum programmable LED light system the only way to go, and if they are the "best", or not...what is the conversation about it?

It seems to me that the little bits of red and violet spectrum were/are missing in many light sets.

Then there were comments that having all the different colors are a gimmick to get us buy more/new LED lights.

So since I am now shopping for a light, for my 5G nano, and will likely have a larger tank in the future. I don't like spending my money badly. Like finding out a 6700K light bulb would have worked just fine to grow basic corals, since I have read that too... or what...

Thought we might have a civilized conversation, and maybe allow some education as we go along, I know it will be a big help for me!

This is an amazing bounty of information...
Feature Article: Light in the Reef Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

The reds and greens aren't needed for coral growth and just assist in nuisance algae. A 6700k light will look awful over a reef and the corals will be brown. Halides IMO have been replaced by led lighting. Leds are more energy conservative and grow corals just as well. 10-20k is what you want for spectrum and you want leds that utilize 3w individual leds.

The reds and greens aren't needed for coral growth and just assist in nuisance algae. A 6700k light will look awful over a reef and the corals will be brown. Halides IMO have been replaced by led lighting. Leds are more energy conservative and grow corals just as well. 10-20k is what you want for spectrum and you want leds that utilize 3w individual leds.

As for the 20k, what does that do for you. Is that so it touches into the violet color, or the corals show up better?

Why do we want the blue color on them, for our eyes as our eyes from what I remember see best in the yellow green part of the spectrum, or does it assist in photosynthesis? I understand that the darker blue wavelengths penetrate deeper into the water...how does that matter in 12" deep nano?

Corals fluoresce better under high kelvin lighting. Corals utilize blue light more than red, green, etc...hence the 15-20k for best color. Just from experience with 10k and 15k light over the same corals. It makes a world of difference. I had 10k I've my 10 gallon and my corals looked eh. Moved them into a 20 with 15k and they literally pop with color.

A 10k look will give you the more natural look for corals, but most refers want to see the crazy colors which come out better in the bluer light which is more the 20k end of the range.

Back
Top Bottom