Lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my small 24x12x14 tank has 1 15w lighting in the canopy. I obviously need good lighting if I want to grow coral. What would you people suggest? Can I run one bulb? Or should I replace the canopy?

I have been told that t5 is the way to go. But is one light good enough or should I replace the canopy?

How much we're you looking to spend and what coral did you want to keep?? For a 24 inch tank you could go with t5s or if it fits your budget LEDs. I set up a 37 gallon 30" wide tank for my lil bro and went with LEDs to help save money on electricity and help with the heat issue. Could not be happier! The colors we are getting from those corals are amazing!

Cost isn't a big issue. I was planning on one or two soft coral and the rest just LR. I would like to not replace the canopy if I didn't have to. The type of tank is waterhome. Will one t5 bulb do the trick?

First , if the tank has T8 bulbs you can't just throw in a T5. you have to replace the ballasts first. For mushrooms I'd recommend a 2 bulb T5 light. For LPS I'd recommend a 4 bulb T5. Probably cheaper to go the led route as you won't have annual bulb replacement costs.
If you do have T8 bulb it won't support any corals. (T8 bulbs are 1" dia and T5 are 5/8" dia).

First , if the tank has T8 bulbs you can't just throw in a T5. you have to replace the ballasts first. For mushrooms I'd recommend a 2 bulb T5 light. For LPS I'd recommend a 4 bulb T5. Probably cheaper to go the led route as you won't have annual bulb replacement costs.
If you do have T8 bulb it won't support any corals. (T8 bulbs are 1" dia and T5 are 5/8" dia).

Thank you for your knowledge. I plan on being simple for a while live rock and sand. And a few soft corals. Clean up crew and couple clown fish is my plan. Think LED is the way to go? My tank is a 20g 24x12x14.

Which LED would anyone here recommend for 24 inch tank?? Thanks!!

check out the tread (best lighting for the buck) it will help you decide and get others views

Back
Top Bottom