Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I'm going to get a 75g reef ready tank soon and I can't seem to find any lights that fits my demands. I plan on having anemones and SPS's in the future and want something that can support those. LED is also something I would like. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks in advanced!

If you looking to spend a little get the ebay 120 watt leds. I am growing sps and have a RBTA in my tank and both are doing great

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys. I found a 80g on craigslist with a 35g sump, skimmer, pump, overflow box, heater, powerheads, and a quad T5 lighting fixture. I don't know what brand it is but it looks like this
00606_lqSFKkjNRMC_600x450.jpg

Does that light seem appropriate for what I want?

IMO you can have them thrive. I have one of those panels on half of my tank which is a 110 and the spa under it have grown alot in the month i have had them. Some of the montis have doubled and tripled in size. As well as getting a nice vibrent color

I don't really want to "Pull them off" I want them to really thrive. What about the current light on the tank?

Sorry to use that wording but without extensive testing of various lighting I cannot say whether or not they would "thrive". I can say they will live and grow and not die.

Sorry to use that wording but without extensive testing of various lighting I cannot say whether or not they would "thrive". I can say they will live and grow and not die.

Ok. What about the tank specs? Do those look good or will I need better?

Ok. What about the tank specs? Do those look good or will I need better?

I personally am not a fan of t5 lighting. 1 color 2 cost of wattage

Also I've not kept sps under t5 so I cannot speak for it.

I would be curious what type of skimmer it comes with.

Other than that it looks like a great start. I would buy it.

I personally am not a fan of t5 lighting. 1 color 2 cost of wattage

Also I've not kept sps under t5 so I cannot speak for it.

I would be curious what type of skimmer it comes with.

Other than that it looks like a great start. I would buy it.

Yeah it's a great deal. Probably gonna buy it no matter what. Gonna check it out tomorrow after work.

Here is another option if you don't mind rolling the dice and ordering gu10s from china.

4x1 watt 60 deg optics 6 inch off water surface rotating whites and blues 50/50

The fixture on the 55 I ultimately ended up placing a 1x6 on the front to cover the bulbs and spray painted it all black

Doing a setup like this VERY DIY and not for everyone as it doesn't look the best and could be considered dangerous with all the wiring. I didn't mind obviously.

Bottom photo is a shelf fixture I made for my brothers 20 high. It was attached to the wall with shelving brackets from lowes. Actually looked pretty sharp.

Attachments

• gu10s2013.jpg
    gu10s2013.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 107
  • onlyblueleds01.jpg
    onlyblueleds01.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 97
  • shelfixture.jpg
    shelfixture.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 107
You won't be able to keep sps under the 4 lamp T5 fixture that comers with the tank.
The advertisement you posted is for a 120 (48 x 24 x 24).

BTW, you are better off with the reef ready 75 IMO. I don't like siphon overflows. Unless you wanted to drill this 120 before you fill it with water. It's pretty easy.
here's a complete overflow kit with drill bit if you are interested.
Overflow Box 1500 GPH

I agree with mr. x the tank dimensions given are for a 120g. I have no clue about the lighting but would follow along with the recommendations of a reef ready system. I have not seen that particular kit but others similar and spoken to folks that have used them. All great reviews.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I have a 4 bulb T5HO light on my 110 tank. I do have SPS Montipora growing but I think they're the least light demanding of all the SPS corals. And they are real close to the surface but they are thriving.
But I don't think they'll support most other SPS and 'nems are out of the question.

Would i be able to run a 20 gallon softie Tank on a par38 led bulb?

Back
Top Bottom