Lighting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packagerat

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 72 gal. bow front and looking for help with the lighting. Would like to have a full reef setup with clams. I have been looking at the Current Outer orbit 48" 2x150 with either the t5 bulbs or the pc 130 watt bulbs. Has anyone had experience with current? I have saved about $700 for the light but do not want to waste money so ant suggestions would be helpful. This is the last item I need. I have been saving for this setup for over a year and doing lots of research but lighting is very confusing.
so far:
aga 72 gal. bow front
mega 3 sump
asm g3 skimmer
lifereef overflow
mag 9.5 return pump
will have 100 lbs liverock
80lbs of aragamax sand

As much as I never say this... You may want to consider metal halides. Depending on the clams you intend to keep, and their desired placement (some prefer rockwork, while some prefer sand), the halides may be necessary.
Current USA does not make bad products though...

Not too sure about sand clams, but do they need a deeper sandbed?

I agree. Most of the clams need very bright lighting, while some (like the deresa) *may* be able to live under the T-5's. I would consider Metal Halides as well for that purpose. Color is also much more vivid with MH.

I have successfully kept croceas and derasas under T-5's. I would not recommend it for the beginner, for there may have been some luck involved.

Current has 2 combination lights one with 2-150 watt MH plus 4 54 watt t5'sand one with 2-150watt MH and 2 130 watt PC's. Are the t5's a better buy for the extra cash or will the PC's work fine?

T5s are better especially if you're using them for actinic/blue. Most blue/actinic PCs I've had have been pretty poor and have very poor lifetimes (only 5-6 months, vs 12-16 for T5)

Back
Top Bottom