Lighting and Nitrite/Nitrate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I finally got my lighting; I have two 36" units which include:

1x 250W Double Ended HQI
4x 39W T5 High Output
4x Dual Bluemoon LED

Each has separate power cord; when setting these on a timer, what order should I turn each on/off each day? What do you recommend?

Also, I did my first water test and my Salinity is right at 1.022, but my nitrate/nitrites are a little high (I forget the numbers I'm at work) but they are about the 3rd one down on the chart.

My Ammonia is right at 0, and PH is good; 20 or 22 if I remember

How do I lower these? There are no fish/snails/etc in my tank right now.

Thank you.

Will putting snails or something in here help reduce nitrate/nitrite?

From one newbie to another. The ultimate readings should be 8 Ph, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and as close to 0 as possible on Nitrate but not over 20. Has your tank cycled? If not or if you are unsure, there are several articles you can read that are very good.

How about the lighting? Which lights should I switch on/off and for how long should each light (halid/actinic/led) run for?

How about the lighting? Which lights should I switch on/off and for how long should each light (halid/actinic/led) run for?

That I can't answer other than to say look through any thread that even mentions lighting. LOL I have little choice since my fixture is only a two lamp with one switch. I do know that if you keep them on for more than 12 hours a day you will get algae. I think 12 hours is even pushing it. Watch for any post by Carey. She is very knowlegeable and extreamly willing to help out. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom