Lighting and overflow/return questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on doing my first salt tank at the moment, already have the stand built, bought a 40 breeder tank and 20L sump, and bought a skimmer. I plan on doing a reef tank.

Now I've got two questions-

For lighting, I plan on retrofitting a 250 MH warehouse light into a DIY hood just as I've done with two 175's over a 55 FW planted. If I were to use a 13,000K bulb (best look I like as far as I can tell), would I still benefit from an actinic bulb thrown in there too?

And for overflow/return I was planning on drilling bulkheads, but I got suspended from ebay thanks to a friend and the cheapest I can find diamond hole saws in the size I need is like $60. Not worth it imo. I was looking at overflow boxes on marinedepot and was planning on going with the CPR CS90. Is there anything inherantly wrong with overflow boxes? Should I spend the extra time/effort/money to drill the tank?

As far as the return goes, how do most people plumb that? Just like the return from a canister, hooked over the top of the tank?

I tried going to one of the small local fish stores here to check out their plumbing setup, but they had the holes drilled through the bottom of the tank which is tempered and a no-no.

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

If I were to use a 13,000K bulb (best look I like as far as I can tell), would I still benefit from an actinic bulb thrown in there too?
It definitely will not hurt. If you don't like the combined appearance, though I think you will, you could at least use the actinic as a dusk and dawn simulator. It will help your colors "pop" also.
and was planning on going with the CPR CS90.
I've had one for almost 2 years. When hooked up properly, using a Maxi-jet 1200 to maintain siphon rather than the pathetic air pump they recommend, they are virtually fool proof.
Should I spend the extra time/effort/money to drill the tank?
Only if that is what best suites your needs.
As far as the return goes, how do most people plumb that? Just like the return from a canister, hooked over the top of the tank?
I use PVC off the pump and convert it into vinyl tubing, it's much easier to work with, which connects to a SCWD wave making device in my case, before connecting it to U-tube returns like this- http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT0011
HTH and good luck.
-This site has a TON of good info for designing sumps- http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Back
Top Bottom