Lighting and stock for a 75g??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeladawng

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a Deep Blue Professional t5ho...2x54w on my 75g. Was wondering what this will support. I am thinking of getting an anem or 2 down the road and maybe some soft corals. It's an incredible fixture in my opinion...only been on tank a few days and my purple algae is growing like crazy on one of my rocks...hoping it will spread to the base rock and other live rocks. Is there anything I can add to get it to grow faster? I saw a product by Kent....purple something or other...is that what I need?

Also, I have been considering my stock list....has anyone had any luck keeping a dwarf angels or a raccoon butterfly in a reef tank? Really love both of them but it says "with caution."

my "wish" list would be the following:

Coral Beauty x1
Flame angel x1
Raccoon Butterfly x1
White tail bristletooth tang x1
Blue Sapphire Damsels x3
Ocellaris clown x 1

I know that the angels might pose a problem, but have been told by a couple people with SW tanks that it can be done if they are added at the same time and don't look too similar.

What order would I need to add the above in?

:thanks: in advance for all advice

Anemones are going to need way more light than that, I think you can have mushrooms and zoas if they are placed high up. You don't need purple up, and it's better not to add more chemicals (it's just calcium pretty much anyway). They say with caution because they can eat corals and inverts. Would stay away from the butterflyfish unless doing an FOWLR tank and keeping a dwarf angel w/ coral is pretty much a gamble. You cannot have 2 dwarf angels in the same tank as they will fight. Highly discourage you from getting damsels as they are very aggressive and will pick on fish much larger than their size.

am planning on saving up for another of the same fixture which would kick me up to 216 watts....would that be enough? so much for my wish list, :lol: back to the drawing board on that I guess. Guess I need to pick which angel I like better. Have read several posts on AA that the coral beauty is more of a coral picker than the flame so maybe I'll just go with one of them. Bummer on the raccoon too...really like the look of that one.

Yeah there are A LOT of fish that will eat corals and inverts, and some are the most beautiful IMO. Hard to get the "best of both worlds" (lol that sounds so corny). I have a 70 gallon list and currently have corals, 1 chromis, 1 clownfish, 1 cleaner shrimp, CUC, serpent star and plan on adding a goby of some sort (diamond watchman, or goldenheaded sleeper goby), tomini tang, and midas blenny, and purple firefish. I've changed my stock list a million times, and it's hard walking in a LFS and seeing a fish you can't get, but it's what's best if you want to keep corals :).

ok...decision made...going to wait until tax return time to get better lighting. would my list be acceptable if I picked just one of the angels and changed the damsels to bangii cardinals? I see that the cardinals can be aggressive towards each other in "large groups" but not other fish, but imo 3 isn't a "large group". please correct me if I'm wrong.....

oh....and it what order to add???

Last edited:
angeladawng said:
ok...decision made...going to wait until tax return time to get better lighting. would my list be acceptable if I picked just one of the angels and changed the damsels to bangii cardinals? I see that the cardinals can be aggressive towards each other in "large groups" but not other fish, but imo 3 isn't a "large group". please correct me if I'm wrong.....

I have 2 cardinals, and no aggression at all. 3 should be fine. They're peaceful and pretty.

Back
Top Bottom