lighting during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
on sunday i started my tank fresh again after having it up and running for 4 years. i swapped out all substrate and and rock. i added 170lbs of argonite and 80lbs of live sand from liverocks.com along with 180lbs of live rock in my 90gal tank. since then my ammonia climbed to about 1ppm and peaked yesterday( it is know down to 0.5ppm). my nitrites are now at 0.5ppm. so know i was wondering after reading all of the various views on the board when should i start to turn the light on(i have the csl powercompact 4x65 with moonlights) and for how long at a time until the tank is fully cycled.

thanks in andvance for all help, everyone here is always very helpful.

did the no2 and the no3 peak? if they did and this it on the fall then you could turn them on. but if they are going up i might hold off. i just turned them on last week when my cycle was all done and not have a big supply of brown algae growing all over the glass.

Personally I don't run any lights while curing my LR, once the parameters have stabalized and I have done a waterchange, I turn on the lights. Some people will run their actinics during the curing process to maintain their coraline and any other photosynthetic inverts on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom