Lighting for a 90g reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just as the title says, any recommendations?

AquaRick said:
Really comes down to what corals you want to grow?

Yep.

What are your intentions? Softies, LPS, SPS? Clams? Nems?

Also what is your price range?

Have you decided what type of lighting you would like? LED, T5's, Metal Halides?

Softies, lps, and nems.

Price range $300-500

My tank water is already pretty warm( about 80.5-81F) so majority led? But maybe mixture of t5 and led? Idk, u guys are the ones that know lol

Antec said:
Softies, lps, and nems.

Price range $300-500

My tank water is already pretty warm( about 80.5-81F) so majority led? But maybe mixture of t5 and led? Idk, u guys are the ones that know lol

Ok probably going to want atleast a 6 bulb t5 which should fall in that price range. Also some very good LED options for that price. I have been hearing a lot about these taotronics fixtures, someone else more knowledgable about them will probably chime in.

Do you think a 6 bulb t5 will heat up the water much?

I run a 6 bulb t5ho and it does add heat but only raises it a couple degrees nothing major unless you are already running hot which you are not.

Ok cool. Any specific units you guys recommend?

With a 90 gal tank, I'm assuming it's a 3 or 4 ft tank? If you want to go leds you'll need two fixtures. The only way to come in on your price range is with a couple Taotronics LEDs. Folks have said decent things about them. Check em out.

As for T5s, I like my ATI fixture on my 125g; though they are a bit pricier. I'd suggest staying away with Odyssea fixtures. They're cheap, but they break down very quickly.

I run an aquamedic fixture. Honestly though if your in the market for lights go with led, I am hearing good things about the taotronics units but if you get them get the dimmable ones.

Back
Top Bottom