Lighting for coral.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I'm new to reefing and just started a 55 gallon tank. My Question is, will my 216 watt hood LED light be okay for mostly all corals? It has two 54 watt white bulbs, two 54 blue antic bulbs and moon lights. Please help:)

All corals have different requirements, I used to have the same lights on my 55 and could keep softies and lps no problem. You wouldn't be able to keep sps, clams or anemones under that light. Just make sure you research into every coral purchase you make, lighting requirement as well and placement/flow...

All corals have different requirements, I used to have the same lights on my 55 and could keep softies and lps no problem. You wouldn't be able to keep sps, clams or anemones under that light. Just make sure you research into every coral purchase you make, lighting requirement as well and placement/flow...
thank you for reply. I wasn't sure because I bought it off ebay and someone else told me they are T5 bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would be OK on most LPS and soft corals. There are some moderate light sps that would work also. As far as clams the squamosa clam will work also.

They are t5, the only problem I had with them is the heat from them increased my temp a bit (but I live in oz and the summer can be brutal) you also have to replace the globes around every 8-10 months so the cost of that can add up. I loved the light tho and had excellent coral growth with it...

Back
Top Bottom