Lighting Help Needed :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tangs27

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

I'm having some issues with lighting. I've asked a few questions about it but I'm still lost lol.

I just set up a Fluval Edge 6 gal and wanted to make it into a sexy shrimp tank with a few mushrooms. I looked at the par 30 bulbs that were suggested but I want to keep the hood on the tank.

I was told the 21 led light that came with it would not be strong enough for mushrooms. Is there a way to keep the hood and put a stronger light on the tank? I really don't want to have to make the light visible. Thanks in advance!

I think your best bet if you want to keep the hood would be a DIY job, or see if fluval makes an upgrade for sw

Although they are a bit pricey look up the fluval sea led lights they have a range and there is a small square one that I have seen someone for under the hood before!

Although they are a bit pricey look up the fluval sea led lights they have a range and there is a small square one that I have seen someone for under the hood before!

I actually have one of those that I'm not using, not sure how you would mount it but op if you want to go that route I'd sell it for $75 shipped. You can pm me if interested

I'm very interested in the light, I have the big one on my other tank I really like them. How long have you had it? Do you think it will be too strong for mushrooms in this size tank?

Got it from my brother in law for Christmas, but only used it for about 2 weeks. It should do fine for softies in a 6, but I didn't think it was going to grow lps in my 10

I had an edge and the algae was out of control it was the worst tank I've ever had

Got it from my brother in law for Christmas, but only used it for about 2 weeks. It should do fine for softies in a 6, but I didn't think it was going to grow lps in my 10

That sounds good. As soon as my bf makes sure he can make it fit under the hood I'll pm you. Thanks!

I had an edge and the algae was out of control it was the worst tank I've ever had

I've thought of that and I will be doing 50% water changes a week with ro/di water and of course I'm only placing a few mushrooms and sexy shrimp. So I'm hoping with the amount of water change and very small bio load that it will not be too bad. But I can up water changes if needed.

How many watts is the stock fixture total? It says it will sustain plants. It could possibly support mushrooms.

I can't find much information about the lights but one site said 18 watts. Another site said 9 watts, so I'm really not sure.

Yeah, I saw that. Odd that they don't list wattage. You could probably find out on the box it came in, or perhaps the instruction manual if any.

It unfortunately doesn't say it on the box and I cannot find the instructions.

I think I might just do that and take my chances and see what happens. Thanks again!

So I found a red mushroom rock for 10 bucks so I figured I would try the light out on that. They have been in the tank about an hour and I don't think the light is enough. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395623649.076405.jpg I'm thinking I might need to add more lights to it, or is this normal? Thanks!

Another question :) do I need to change the salt mix I use?

I have been using the regular instant ocean salt since I usually just have fish

They dont look too bad but if you added a led band if 4 bulbs of 3w like i have, plus your original lightning, maybe you could even add few lps in there. I bought mine from my lps for 60$ which isnt that bad for your size tank

Back
Top Bottom