Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking to upgrade from the stock lighting I have to T5 HO for my 55 gal FOWLR. I would like to add a bubble tip anenome in a few months and my lfs has a light they can order for $100 that is 48" and comes with the lamps (1 white and 1 blue) that they say would support the nem. They showed me the same model they would order it is on a 75 they have in the store and it looks nice enough but didn't see a brand/ model # or anything like that and they were super busy so I failed to get the info from the catalog.

After researching online it seems like this is a good deal (esp with lamps included?) I guess my question is does the bran really matter w T5's? It looks like the coralife aqualight dual t5 but am not certain. I am still pretty new to this I took over the tank from a friend and am starting to really get into it.

Thanks!

A 2 bulb setup will not be enough light for an anemone unfortunately. :-(

I would look into 4 bulb units and go from there. The difference between brands and the wide price variation are due to the design of the units. You preferably want individual reflectors on each of the bulbs which drives up the price. the reflectors will let you get the most from your bulbs and is the best way to go.

Here are two sites that carry 4 bulb fixtures for pretty cheap.

Aquatraders - Guaranteed Best Prices on Aquarium Lightings + Free Shipping!
fish need it;lights; food;Sponge

Good luck!

Ok good to know. Thank you for the response I'll check that site out. I guess now that we're on the subject does the anenome need any particular amount of water flow? I don't currently have anything by way of power heads because I didn't think it to be necessary for just fish and rocks.

Thanks!

You should have some powerheads regardless. Just more flow for a reef tank is needed. I have 2 powerheads in my 90g fish only tank, both are koralia 1400 gph ones too. The circulation pumps will help keep the sandbed clean as it will keep particulate matter suspended so the filtration can grab it.

Nems need some flow though, thats how they capture their food. :) Nothing crazy but you should look into getting 2 pumps.

Back
Top Bottom