Lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cpd102

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to the saltwater world and had a few questions on setting up my lighting for my tank. I have a 75 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump/refugium with a sea clone protein skimmer and a diy algae turf scrubber in the making. I have a T5 light set up with two settings one with white daylight and the other with blue actinic. How long should each be on for with conjunction of my lights for the refugium/scrubber?
My tank currently contains 3 damsels, a clown, a goby, a cleaner shrimp, and a pink tip anemone.
I have attached photos of my tank setup, sump and the stage the scrubber is currently in.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

IMG_2845.jpgIMG_2832.jpgIMG_2852.jpg

For lighting times, you’d want to have them on for no longer than 10 hours total. It’d be typical to have the whites come on first and then the blues an hour later.
But before you get too far ahead, I want to warn you about what is going on in the display. Colored rocks don’t work in saltwater. It is corrosive and will cause the paint to leach into the water column. This is toxic to your livestock. You’ll need to remove it and replace it with a sand or crushed coral bed...with sand being best in my honest opinion. That tied in with having 1 lbs per gallon of live rock will make up most of your biological filtration.

Ahh I didn’t realize that! I will get on that ASAP!! I am slowly adding live rock as it becomes available budget wise. I bought out the local shop I have near me so I am waiting until they get more in supply.

Also should I run both together at the same time for a few? I currently have the whites come on around noon then the blues turn on at about 4pm. As it stands they stay on with the whites for 2 hours then it’s only blues till about 10-11ish.

Back
Top Bottom