LIGHTING QUESTIONS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danhs0supa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting on a 29gal tank, and plan on having inverts in there

sometimes in the future. What's the best lighting recomendations for a

29 gal tank. Thanks

Do you mean inverts as in shrimp/crabs/snails....or inverts like corals? If it is the first, those aren't too picky about light. Keep in mind, if you have canopy lid, that could cause a low pH, due to the lack of gas exchange. If it's going to be corals, I'll let the reefers help you.

sorry about not being clear earlier. What i meant was corals.

So T5 should be good enough lighting for the corals huh?

Is your tank the standard size for 29 (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 ¾)? Also you still haven’t said if you want medium or high light corals?

Without knowing that it’s hard to recommend the right kind of lighting.

If wanting low/medium light corals something like the 130W Coralife Aqualight or Current USA 30" Orbit would be a good choice.

If wanting high light corals then something like the Current USA 30" 150w or a
175W metal halide pendant would be good options.

I like the looks of HO T5 bulbs also but I haven’t found then in 30” lengths. There are 36” long hoods out there though.

yeah i seen them in 24" and 36". You think a 24 would work well, if its

put on a piece of acrylic glass that goes across the tank?

The only two 24” hoods that I know of are the 24" Nova Extreme 4 x 24W and the Sunlight Tek Light T5 Hood - 24" x 4 bulb

There are retrofit kits also but most I’ve seen are 4 x 24w bulbs which give you 96W total or on the low end for medium light corals.

Since they but run $150+ I’d go with the PC lighting personally which is cheaper and 130W. (2 X 65W)

If your tank was 36” or 48” long you would have a lot more options but your kind of limited at 30”.

Back
Top Bottom