Lighting Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PatM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just read the light pollution post and read something about a 13 on 11 off lighting schedule. I only do 12 and 12, although my actinics are on 15 off 9. Is 13/11 the average?

I have T5s on 12 and MH on for 10 and 8. Hmm I never thought about how short the MH were on before. Maybe I'll make the days a little longer.

PCs. Daylight on 10. Actinic on 12, one hour before and after the daylight. Pat, how's your algea growth?

Do actinics effect algea growth - as in too much lighting?

I've had this lighting schedule for almost two years now and I have had very little algae problems. I scrape the glass about once a week, like most people I think, but don't have much for green algae anywhere else. I am using PC's for the main daylight cycle, 2 65 watt daylight bulbs and two 55 watt actinics, and then I also run 2 15 watt NO flourescents 15 hours a day. I like to have just the actinics on around bedtime and when I wake up just for the look I guess. Supposedly the actinics alone won't grow much for bad algaes, but the corraline algae thrives under low light. I also run my caulerpa fuge/sump 24/7.

I hear there are advantages both ways. Fuge 24/7 and opposite the main lighting. Some try to get the PH balance with opposite lighting. Some go for the increased macro-algae growth. I guess I don't use the actinics as long because I want them to all go to bed at a decent time. I start my shorter cyle later in the day so they can be on 'til my bedtime. I miss the morning viewing.

Sounds like you have a good system that works for you. Kinda envious of your viewing access. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom