Lighting T5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T5HO is the way to go. Plenty of intensity. How big is the tank? It might be enough for LPS or soft corals.

Its a 55G tank. I would think the 36" would do the trick because im pretty sure my 55G is not 4' long lol. Id say its about 3' maybe a bit more. Its also around 15-17" high. That good?

A standard 55 is a 4' tank. For that size tank, I'd look for at least a 4x54 bulb T5HO fixture. A 6x54 bulb fixture would give you more options.

Are you sure? Because i really doubt that my 55G is 4' it doesnt look that long at all. Im currently at work, so i guess i'll have to measure it when i get home.

To be honest though, i dont think theres any way that i would buy a fixture with 4 bulbs. The cost for that thing over periods of time would be a hellish money-pit. I would go with a 2x54W fixture. It spits out more Wattage but still its only 2 bulbs. Does that sound like a good idea?

Are you sure? Because i really doubt that my 55G is 4' it doesnt look that long at all. Im currently at work, so i guess i'll have to measure it when i get home.

If it's 3', it's a 50 or a custom.

Idk, i still dont see my tank being 4' rofl. maybe my judgement of lengths is crap lol. xD

But still, do you think a 2x54W would still be enough for some nice corals and softies? Im really not looking to stock my tank with loads of different species of corals, i just want to be able to have some nice options. Not the whole shabang. Is its possible this way.

No comment on the bad judgement of length. :X

Honestly, I'm not sure if that will be enough. I've never tried to have corals with that little light. It may be able to do some lower light corals (shrooms, zoas, etc), but you may be limited to just those.

So then, what would you suggest to get for like.. a pretty wide range of corals to get? Like what light would be sufficient for some good varieties?

Agreed. Standard 55 is 48x13, 50 gallon (like we have) is 36x18.

I would not recommend the Hagen fixture. I used to have one. The one I had didn't have a power switch (not really a big deal I guess, just put it on a timer), and more importantly the reflector is crap. It's one reflector for both bulbs. The Current Nova Extreme Pro that we have on the 50 is a much higher quality fixture. It also has one reflector, but at least the reflector is bent over every bulb so every bulb has its own, if that makes sense.

I don't think a 2 bulb fixture will give you very many choices for corals. A 4 or 6 bulb fixture would be much better IMO. It's more money up front, but it would suck for you to start the tank and realize you are disappointed with the selection of corals you can keep, and then have to spend a bunch more money.

One of these would work nicely:
Current USA Nova HO X4 T5 Aquarium Lighting T5 Aquarium Light T 5 Aquarium Light T 5 Aquarium Lighting

Alrighty. Thanks for the help guys. So in my situation, since i have a fairly large or "long" tank, my choices are hardly going to be below 200$ right? Seems that way :/ But actually, i like that fixture you linked me to sm. It looks pretty good. Ill have to see what the funds permit me to purchase, but as of right now, that fixture you linked me to is what im aiming for.

We got our light fixture used from a reef club member. I would highly recommend joining a club if you have one in your area. It's a great way to get used equipment, frags and fish, and of course, information! We have learned a ton since joining a club. :)

I have to agree with the others. If it`s a 55 then it`s 4 ft long. I had one for 7 yrs so I know. I agree with soft and some LPS corals. I was thinking maybe you had a 29. That 4 bulb T5HO would be a great addition if you could get it.

Yeah i would and all, but i dont think theres one in nj. I did some looking on google and found some bogus sites. Idk though, ill keep looking. thanks though! :D

Also yeah, im currently saving up my money for that light fixture actually. I think it would be good in the long run. Ill be able to have most corals that i may want, and i guess it provides adequate lighting for them as well. Plus, this fixture looks pretty nice lol. I like the cooling fan it has too.

I have been owned in the face.

Na i saw that one, thereeftank.com, and reefcentral.com as well. Idk, they all seemed wierd to me. But hey, i dont really know lol.

I'm pretty sure the one above is the host for MACNA this year. They're legit.

Cool. I'll have to register and take a look at their site sometime.

Back
Top Bottom