Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emelinda76

Aquarium Advice Freak
HOw often should bulbs from T5 fixture b replaced? I have a12 bulb fixture that HAS One big reflector n have not changed a bulb in sometime n read that one should..

What are your thoughts?

I just changed out my 12 bulbs in my 6 footer. It's like night and day now. if your bulbs are a year old or more then you will notice a change guaranteed.

carey said:
I just changed out my 12 bulbs in my 6 footer. It's like night and day now. if your bulbs are a year old or more then you will notice a change guaranteed.

That's what I have... Don't remember how expensive it is???

it's very important to change your bulbs when recommended. they actually lose potency and change color over time.

mr_X said:
it's very important to change your bulbs when recommended. they actually lose potency and change color over time.

Should all be changed all at once or one by one? Do the fish adjust..

I changed out 8 bulbs and waited a few days and then added the other 4. I also cut back my lighting schedule to make sure I didn't bleach out any corals.

i would change them around the same time...not too far apart from the others simply so you can remember how old they are and when to change them next time. i mean, changing one here and one there will get confusing.

carey said:
I changed out 8 bulbs and waited a few days and then added the other 4. I also cut back my lighting schedule to make sure I didn't bleach out any corals.

How many hours per day?

I went from whites on for 10 hours to only 6 hours then upped it to 8 hours over the course of a few weeks. All my corals did fine for the transisition too. I have now ended up with blues on at 10am then whites on at 12 noon. Whites off at 8pm and blues go off at 10 pm. I haven't tried the 2 hour blue photo phase before and so far my corals are doing the same as when I had the whites on for 10 hours. :)

Back
Top Bottom