Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefmob

Aquarium Advice Activist
HEy guys time for lights question is......
Led vs t5 ?
Why?
What brand ?
How many?
What's worked for you

I have a 60 gal cube planing to do mixed reef I'm leaning to led ( the lfs is told me about ecoexotic r those any good?) I can only Aford 3 which is about $300

Thanks !!!!!!

Hopefully once I get setup I can start doing some question answering!! For the meantime thanks for the help!

I have T'5s but LED's are suppose to be the latest and greatest. From what I've heard and read Aquaray, ecotech, AIsol and evolutions are some of the best

Cool thanks.. Do you think l can mix part led and part t5 ?

well if you can afford the led's why would you want the T5's. LED's are much brighter.

The color combo I get from my T5s is still unmatched by the LEDs out there with exception to maybe the pricier Radions or AI Sols/Vegas. Until the higher end LEDs come down in price (or i get some sort of bonus from work lol), I doubt I'll be switching to LEDs. It's really a personal choice.

So I've gotten mixed answers on changing the t5 bulbs is it 6 or 12 months?

Oh so I'm guessing ecoexotic isn't good?

Changing your T5 bulbs depends on how long you have them on and if your fixture has fans to cool them down during the day. I've heard 9 months is the norm. I'm using a PAR meter and will change my lights out when they start straying too far from the first readings.

As far as ecoexotic I haven't done much research on that brand so I can't say. Just to make it clear, there are very good LEDs out there that do the job and are more inexpensive than the pricier brands. Most of these LEDs aren't dimable or programmable; but it doesn't mean they don't do their job. If you want a cheaper alternative check out Mr_X's build. He bought 3 fixtures for his large tank @ $150 or less a fixture (can't remember) and he is liking what he sees.

Personally, I just like the look of my T5s more so than the nonprogrammable LEDs. I do envy the electricity cost savings of LEDs though!

I went to my lfs and everyone told me that the led industry is very new and there is not lots of information on the long run effects of the LEDs. One of my friends friend is an led engineer and told him that LEDs lose there spectrum and par strength over 2-4 year mark. IDK I guess I didnt want to deal with uncertainty so I got the aquaticlife t5 ho fixture 24" 4 bulb with control and led moonlights.. Looks good no ripples though.. Blues could be better

1st I've heard of LEDs loosing their spectrum and par strength over time.

What bulbs are you running for your blues? Try the ATI Blue plus bulbs. They've got a great color to them.

As far as ecoexotic I haven't done much research on that brand so I can't say. Just to make it clear, there are very good LEDs out there that do the job and are more inexpensive than the pricier brands. Most of these LEDs aren't dimable or programmable; but it doesn't mean they don't do their job. If you want a cheaper alternative check out Mr_X's build. He bought 3 fixtures for his large tank @ $150 or less a fixture (can't remember) and he is liking what he sees.

Personally, I just like the look of my T5s more so than the nonprogrammable LEDs. I do envy the electricity cost savings of LEDs though!
hey Rick you know anything about those lights I heard they weren't that good but if X has them they must be ok I would think

Those lights have most of the benefits of LEDs at a fraction of the cost. (good light & PAR, cheaper running cost). If memory serves me right, he likes his fixtures. Check out his thread. If you still have questions, PM him.

Back
Top Bottom