Lights for 80 Gal Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

njphin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am upgrading to a 80 gallon tank that I would like to eventually make it reef. The person that I bought the tank from is also selling 48 inch Metal Halide lights which have 2 x 150 watt bulbs. He is selling it for $220, this seems to be a good price. Would those lights be good for my reef?
I also saw some 216 watt T5 lights on ebay that I was looking into as well. Which one would be better? Thanks

It's a good price depending on the condition and quality. Is it a fixture made by a company or a retro fit?
Between the two (MH&T5) is really a personal preference. With MH you are going to get a deeper penetration into the tank, meaning higher PAR levels even lower. T5 can output high amounts of light, but dont focus enough to make it very deep. These are obviously very brief overviews. What are the dimensions of your tank and what types of coral are you looking to have?
Personally i would probably get the MH (assuming they aren't in poor condition) and retro some T5's in later on.

It's an 80 gallon high [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]48 7/8 x 14 x 30 3/4. [/FONT]The lights look in good condition just doesn't have the brackets to hang over the tank. Anyone know where to get a kit for this. He says he just put new bulbs, not sure how I can see if thats true or not. Looking to get into low to med light corals. Not sure if made by a company or a retro fit, will take a look at the lights tomorrow and decide to get or not.

On a tank that deep I would suggest the MH. Depending on the fixture, you can probably get whatever bracketing you need or close to it at your local hardware store.

So I should be good with low to med light type corals with these MH Lights?

Definitely be good to go with those. Those MH`s have about a two foot footprint.

You'll be fine with most anything, you could probably even do some mid to high range corals if you have some high rock work.

So the metal halide lights brand is Current USA and the Ballast Model is 120-MH150. How do I figure out the model of the actual light system don't see it anywhere on the light casing or does that even matter? Also I was given a 250 watt bulb will there be a problem if I had 1 250 watt bulb and 1 150 watt bulb on the fixture? Did I get a good deal paid $210 and the lights turned on with no problem as did the white and blue led lights? Thanks

A 150w ballast probably won't fire a 250w bulb. Is that an additional bulb to what the fixture came with?

Who makes the fixture?
That sounds like an Ice Cap ballast (good).

Sunpark is the name on the inside of the light I think its the Ballast? On the outside it says Current. Sorry still have lot to learn.

Back
Top Bottom