Lionfish tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepsicola

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, just starting a saltwater tank. Only had freshwater in the past. I have a 600l tank with another 1400l with sump and storage tank, so 2000l all up. I want to have a Volitans lionfish in this tank and some colourful tankmates that will not harass the lionfish or get eaten. I have found a few that I really like and think are compatiable but just need some confirmation on that. So what I want to keep in my tank would be:

1 Volitans lionfish
1 Snowflake eel
1 Purple tang
1 Harlequin tusk
1 Foxface
1 Lunar wrasse

I'm pretty sure they should all be fine together but I worry about the Lunar wrasse. Heard they are really aggressive. Would he be an issue?? And are all these fish ok with corals? I realise I will not be able to keep a clean up crew (shrimps etc) but as long as they leave the actual corals along I'm happy. And yes I do also know that they will be producing alot of waste, maybe too much for corals but I's still like to try.

Will it be too crowded with all fish in the one tank or could the all exist nicely?

Thanks!

I don't see any issues, most of them aren't considered "reef safe" because they eat inverts. They shouldn't bother corals though, the only one that might is the fox face. Just keep an eye on him as they have been known to nip on occasion. That tank would be a hermit crabs nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom