List of Desired Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E Angel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have finally decided on the fish I want for my 55 gal FOWLR tank. I currently have many inverts and a sleeper banded goby. This is my desired fish list:

Eibli Angel
Copper Banded Butterfly
Longnose Hawkfish
Two True Perc Clowns
Blenny - (Midas or Tail Spotted)
and maybe eventually a Mandarin Dragonet

Will these fish be compatible with each other and is my tank is big enough to house all of them? In what order should I add them? Does anybody know anything about the two Blennies and which would be better? Basically, any advice or information would be helpful?

Thanks in Advance
E Angel

Everything looks pretty good with the exception f the copperband and the manderin. The copperband is a difficult fish to keep and many die in captivity due to starvation. They are very deliberate feeders and do not accept prepared foods very well. You need an abundance of LR for these fish to graze on. They enjoy small crustations like pods. Mine likes cyclop-eeze as well. The copperband and the dragonet will compete for food and a 55gal is just too small for them both. The manderin will require a mature tank with lots of LR as well. Over 100lbs of rock is considered a minimum for this fish. Even then, they can devouer a population of pods in no time. Starvation is often the end result with this fish as well. The hawkfish is a threat to ornamental shrimps.

the mandarin and the copperband butterfly are very hard to keep. i doubt you will be able to keep either one alive. the mandarin will require a mature tank, so you are going to have to wait at least a year for that one. and the butterfly is a notoriously picky eater and most die of starvation in an aquarium.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=212

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1635

the hawkfish may bully the butterfly, as it is listed as semi-agressive...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=199

i think you may want to rethink your stocking plans... but i will wait to hear from some other, more experienced folks here.

~mike

when you say ornamental shrimp what exactly are talking about? I have never heard of anything being called an ornamental shrimp. I have 4 peppermint shrimps and a coral banded shrimp. Are they ornamental?

I am also not sure what PODS are, would they include the polyps going in abundance all over my LR?

I was also looking looking at a Sailfin Tang. Would they get too big for my tank?

Pods are little bug looking things that populate your tank (too tiny to see during the daytime EX)

I think a sailfin would get too big, and I am not sure on the ornamental shrimp thing either but my guess would be yes.

I have 4 peppermint shrimps and a coral banded shrimp. Are they ornamental?
Yes, those and fire shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, etc...skip the hawkfish
I am also not sure what PODS are
"Pods" as they are referred to as, consist of a few different types of microcrustaceans. The most popular and beneficial for the home aquarium are amphipods. basically, they are tiny shelled animals that live on LR, or in sup/fuges and multiply like crazy. They are a sign of a happy and healthy system. They serve as scavengers and food in the tank. They are pretty much the only successful food source for manderin dragonets. Like I mentioned, the manderin can deplete the pod population very quickly and then end up starving to death. Efforts must be made to cultivate or encourage a large pod population in order to keep this fish. This would include having lots of LR and a place where they can grow without interruption from predators, like a sump or fuge.
I was also looking looking at a Sailfin Tang. Would they get too big for my tank?
Yes, not a good choice for a 55gal.

I have an Arc-Eye hawkfish that is actually the nicest fish in my tank. He even goes to the cleaner shrimp to get a free cleaning. Mine may just be an idiot and not know what he's supposed to do.

Hawkfish are natural predators.. they even take on mantis shrimp..
Sailfin tang gets quite quite large need at least a 100gal for him
Ornamental shrimp are those that arent natural cleaners..as lando mentioned your fire shrimps etc..
The copperband although a beautiful fish is definately a hard one to keep.. i did try and supplemented my life away to no avail..

Your list -

Eibli Angel - no probs
Copper Banded Butterfly - dont get - if still want a b/fly try the longnose b/fly
Longnose Hawkfish - no probs
Two True Perc Clowns - no probs
Blenny - (Midas or Tail Spotted) - should be able to keep two if provide lots of hiding spaces..
and maybe eventually a Mandarin Dragonet - no.. try a goby of some sort

I would only go with one blenny. I think that is your intentions. Good choice with the midas. Long nose will have fine dining the minute you add him.

Back
Top Bottom