List of Things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InxayonFinland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've finally got a list of all the things I want for my 29 gallon soon-to-be reef tank. Tell me if there is anything missing please! I don't have a filter listed because some people say to go with them and other not to. I'll put the filter I'm thinking of if i need one at the bottom. Here we go:

Equipment-
Lights- Orbit Compact Fluorescent with Lunar Lights 30" w/2-65W
Heater- Visa Therm Deluxe 100 watt
Powerhead- 2 Maxi-jet 1200 (these go without undergravel filter right?)
Protein Skimmer- Bak-Pak 2r
Salt Mix- Instant Ocean 50 gallon mix
Substrate- Aragamax Sand 30 lbs.

Fish-
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish, Lyretail
True Percula Clown ( pair )
Fridmani Pseudochromis
Yellow Clown Goby ( maybe )

Other-
Live Rock- 45 lbs. Fiji Premium

As for the filter I might get, it will probably be a H.O.T. Magnum Canister Filter.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me if there is anything wrong with this list or if I should add or take off anything. All opinions are open. Thanks.

I recommend getting 2 heaters for redundancy.
You do not want a UGF in a SW tank. Just place the PH's for appropriate flow. You may want to get more salt. A 50 gal bag will just get you through your cycle period. Personally I would want more than 30lbs of sand but that is just my opinion and not worth much. :) BTW the blue gudgeon dartfish are very shy and will stay hid all the time.

ok thanks for the advice.

I only want 30 lbs of sand because i want a shallow sand bed.

Thanks for the headsup on the dartfish. I don't really know a whole lot about it but I read up a little on it. Instead of that fish, does anyone know of any other really cool looking blue fish that could go in the 29 gallon.

One more thing, would it be smart for me to get a canopy?

Thanks again.

Hey,

you have almost exactly what I am starting to build. Even the same light. I haven't planned on anyfish yet except one clownfish (nemo, have to keep the girlfriend happy). So basically, I am posting so I get get updates on this thread to see how its going for you.

Oh, and so if I get a junkload of LR, I can take out my filters and replace them with just powerheads?

I’d get the WON Pro-Heat Titanium Heater instead of the glass one but other than that everything else looks fine.

kylebacc
The lr will act as your biological filtration. All you need is lr and a couple of powerheads, sump/pump or a closed loop system to move the water around :)

Also you don't need all lr in order for it to work, you could do base and lr. www.hirocks.com has good base rock and they have 30 lbs for $52 including shipping.

Would you need this type of lighting for liverock and fish only? Or can you get away with the Fluorescent twin tube strip lights? My understanding is that you would only need high output lights if growing corals, correct?

Sorry if this is off topic. I'm a freshwater man getting interested in SW as of late.

Yes, basic lighting is all that’s needed for fo or fowlr unless you want to grow coralline.

soft corals I think would be ok. I think if you get the 30'' satellite (made by same company as the orbit) then you will get a little more light and probally for same or cheaper price as the orbit.

Back
Top Bottom